best port

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
adx

best port

Post by adx »

i searched the net for other doom port and found out there aready too many of them i.e. edge, zdaemon, jdoom, doom3d, boom, legacy, skulltag, prboom etc...(or rather couldn't site more)
what other port would use aside from zdoom? (i prefer edge)
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

ZDoomGL and no other.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

None, unless I want to play one of the rare maps that are exclusive to other source ports.
SargeBaldy

Post by SargeBaldy »

eternity is my favorite.
Cyb

Post by Cyb »

aye I never use anything aside from zdoom unless I have to, tho I do use zdoomgl from time to time (gl rendering isn't always good for doom maps tho)
Hirogen2
Github ID: jengelh
Operating System: RedHat-like Linux (RHEL, Fedora, CentOS, etc) 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan Support

Post by Hirogen2 »

Anything else than ZDoom (and/or offsprings thereof) is against the religion.
randomlag

Re: best port

Post by randomlag »

adx wrote:i searched the net for other doom port and found out there aready too many of them i.e. edge, zdaemon, jdoom, doom3d, boom, legacy, skulltag, prboom etc...(or rather couldn't site more)
what other port would use aside from zdoom? (i prefer edge)
Check this out - http://risen3d.newdoom.com/ (yay finally working links). Plays stock DOOM, BOOM and MBF levels with the least number of visual glitches for many trick maps common to many GL ports. Install the model packs to get the full experience :o Takes a bit longer to load. Use -NOMD2 to get faster load times and compare sprites to models.

And play this level http://www.sbsoftware.com/files/XtheaterIIIRISEN3D.zip to compare. No slopes compared to the original XTHEATERIII (for ZDOOM or ZDOOMGL), but graphics noticably better. I converted this back from HEXEN to DOOM format, so there might be some areas with glitches. Hope not :roll: (other specific files at http://www.sbsoftware.com/download.html

Please be sure to use -maxzone 80M when you play this with RISEN3D. There is a special sound control keyword that will keep it from working with ZDOOM. Not sure that's still required? Stuff is always changing :D
Last edited by randomlag on Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nanami

Post by Nanami »

ZDoom is my port of choice. I use it for testing vanilla things and whenever I recieve a new wad.
Zell

Post by Zell »

Hirogen2 wrote:Anything else than ZDoom (and/or offsprings thereof) is against the religion.
very true.

We musnt anger the god. :P
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

I only use other ports when I get to review a newstuff wad that needs another port (like the Legacy map I played a few hours ago). If something doesn't work in ZDoom (and doesn't require a specific port), I try Legacy next. (as non-Legacy wads tend to behave themselves on my system)
Chilvence

Post by Chilvence »

Gotta catch em all!
sirjuddington
Discord: sirjuddington#7496
Github ID: sirjuddington

Post by sirjuddington »

I use ZDoom/GL almost exclusively. Sometimes I like to play around with Vavoom and PrBoom though.
bimshwel
Discord: bimshwel #7516

Post by bimshwel »

When you take into account its centrality between the great European powers and its proximity to both the Atlantic ocean and Mediterranean sea, by location alone Lisbon is unquestionably the greatest port of them all.
cccp_leha

Post by cccp_leha »

Hahaha, I've gotta give that to you, 'twas good.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Mittens that is so true....

Return to “General”