Wall lightning

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Wall lightning

Postby Hirogen2 » Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:29 am

Can you see it?

The light for walls seems a bit odd. The southern wall the player is looking at is darker than the east/west walls. That is the way it has been ever since :P but, how is that?
Hirogen2

Github ID: jengelh
Operating System: RedHat-like Linux (RHEL, Fedora, CentOS, etc) 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby HotWax » Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:21 am

The effect is designed to make corners stand out more. You can disable it by using evenlighting in the MAPINFO, and it is also disabled when using Hexen-style fog.
HotWax
Do what you must, and pay the price later.

Postby Nanami » Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:03 pm

HotWax wrote:The effect is designed to make corners stand out more. You can disable it by using evenlighting in the MAPINFO, and it is also disabled when using Hexen-style fog.
Oh seriously? Where does that go? As part of each level's options?

And what about my vanilla map that looks like crap? =P
Nanami
Natdhipytadd

Postby The Ultimate DooMer » Wed Oct 15, 2003 4:38 pm

Just add it to the mapinfo for each map (in the same place where the sky, music etc. go)

For your vanilla map, move one end of the straight linedefs across by 2 units, this will knock out the effect.
The Ultimate DooMer
Will you start the fans please!

Postby Graf Zahl » Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:46 am

The Ultimate DooMer wrote:Just add it to the mapinfo for each map (in the same place where the sky, music etc. go)

For your vanilla map, move one end of the straight linedefs across by 2 units, this will knock out the effect.

...and explode the size of the BSP-tree... (if done too excessively)
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby Anonymous » Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:52 am

HotWax wrote:..... and it is also disabled when using Hexen-style fog.

Wait.... what about this hexen-style fog? is there 2 different types of fog?? i only know about one...

another thing i dont know is, whats this about the fog thats only used on "outside sectors"? (the sectors with "F_SKY")

last question: did randy finally implement the "lightning used in hexen"? (thats what the topic says!... even if it is a typo!) how do you use the lightning feature?
Anonymous

Postby Hirogen2 » Thu Oct 16, 2003 3:32 am

Ah ok. I just checked what ROTT looked like and... it also had the outstanding corners, but in the opposite direction, i.e. the north and south walls were "lit" :P
Hirogen2

Postby Enjay » Thu Oct 16, 2003 3:59 am

immortal18 wrote:did randy finally implement the "lightning used in hexen"? how do you use the lightning feature?

Yes, that feature's been "in" for some time now. You can make a level have lightning simply by adding the word lightning to your mapinfo for the level. You'll also need to include a definition for the lightning sound, and a sound, of course, if you want to hear thunder. There are also lightning scripts that execute every time the lightning flashes on a level and 3 types of sector lighting that flash every time the lightning goes off (outside lightning, indoor lightning, indoor lightning brighter). Even more, you can specify 2 skies for your level, and have the sky briefly change whilst the lighting flashes.

If you want to see an example, pop along to my Tripod/Lycos site and download the redsky WAD. About half way down the page.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/Enjay001/
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby HotWax » Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:06 pm

Hirogen2 wrote:Ah ok. I just checked what ROTT looked like and... it also had the outstanding corners, but in the opposite direction, i.e. the north and south walls were "lit" :P

Just as they were in Wolf3D. It's amazing how similar those two games are if you take away the 'shrooms and buckets of blood.... It's almost as if one is a half-assed knock-off of the other.
HotWax

Postby Cyb » Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:03 pm

well the rott engine is the wolf3d engine...
Cyb

Postby HotWax » Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:06 pm

Sorry, I forgot the <sarc> tag. :)
HotWax

Postby Hirogen2 » Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:45 pm

Cyb wrote:well the rott engine is the wolf3d engine...

And Doom is based off Wolf3d, probably not necessarily in full or partially copied code and/or subroutines, but in ... idea and design. Whatever. Like Doom3 to Doom2.
Hirogen2

Postby HotWax » Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:11 pm

Hirogen2 wrote:
Cyb wrote:well the rott engine is the wolf3d engine...

And Doom is based off Wolf3d, probably not necessarily in full or partially copied code and/or subroutines, but in ... idea and design. Whatever. Like Doom3 to Doom2.

The difference being that John Carmack can't, by definition, rip his own ideas off.
HotWax

Postby bimshwel » Fri Oct 17, 2003 11:31 am

Maybe if he got amnesia and forgot everything, including his name, and then saw Wolfenstein and thought "I coulda thought of that! I coulda made millions!" and then invented time travel and went back in time to 1990ish and released something like Wolfenstein right before that period's id software, who think the John Carmack with amnesia from the future had stolen the source, and zany hijinks ensue.
bimshwel
only as old as I feel, and I feel like dirt

Discord: bimshwel #7516

Postby Chilvence » Sun Oct 19, 2003 7:45 am

Thats a great plan but time travel is worth more than action game
Chilvence
I had been waiting for Doomscript....

Next

Return to General