Enjay's Marine Assault: First Impressions

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

The railgun is a heavily modified RoTT weapon. In fact, from memory, it is mainly made from 3 of the RoTT weapons chopped about and re-joined to each other in a sort of Frakenstein-esque way. :) I did that myself, then did a bit of re-colouring and adding flashes and so on. I think the flash was based on the Doom shotgun one.

As people may have guessed, some of the stuff I included in this WAD has actually come from my Aspects mod. So there wasn't too much work to be done creating resources for it. It was more a case of selecting which of the resources I had already made I was going to use.
Nanami

Post by Nanami »

It's really nice work, I was very impressed with how nice it looks.

You think we could talk you into helping out with ZooM? =)
Hirogen2
Github ID: jengelh
Operating System: RedHat-like Linux (RHEL, Fedora, CentOS, etc) 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan Support

Post by Hirogen2 »

Enjay wrote:The railgun is a heavily modified RoTT weapon. In fact, from memory, it is mainly made from 3 of the RoTT weapons chopped about and re-joined to each other in a sort of Frakenstein-esque way. :) I did that myself, then did a bit of re-colouring and adding flashes and so on. I think the flash was based on the Doom shotgun one.

Hey, I noticed that dammit :P Firewall Firebomb and Heatseeker overlaid plus the shotgun's flash.
Want more levels! Highly cool :twisted:
David Ferstat

Post by David Ferstat »

HotWax wrote:... However, I agree that it belongs as a new flag in a DEH patch/lump. Why? Because if someone makes a weapon mod designed to be used with any other levels, there won't be any MAPINFO lump to read from.

Didn't think of that. Damn. :)

Thanks, Steve!
Hirogen2
Github ID: jengelh
Operating System: RedHat-like Linux (RHEL, Fedora, CentOS, etc) 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan Support

Post by Hirogen2 »

Just FYI, he wasn't suggesting a single flag to make every weapon silent. However, I agree that it belongs as a new flag in a DEH patch/lump. Why? Because if someone makes a weapon mod designed to be used with any other levels, there won't be any MAPINFO lump to read from.

Are not MAPINFO non-cumulative, are they?
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Enjay has a good point, too. Heretic and Hexen weapons can't be affected by DEH patches. I like his suggestion of the KEYCONF lump. That's something that could be included with a weapons mod and would be able to affect all weapons from all games. Assuming the lump is cumulative, it should allow the changes to affect any other loaded pwad.
cccp_leha

Post by cccp_leha »

*clap* *clap* hat's off, Enjay.
BTW, I noticed that during the intro, the guy's mouth moves even when he is not "talking" :).
Nanami

Post by Nanami »

I'm pretty sure KEYCONF isn't cumulative. It may be, but I can see problems with that already:

Code: Select all

KEYCONF # 1:
setslot 4 Crossbow
addslotdefault 4 Chaingun

KEYCONF # 2:
setslot 4 CWeapFlame

Say goodbye to that crossbow bind.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Nanami wrote:I'm pretty sure KEYCONF isn't cumulative. It may be, but I can see problems with that already:

KEYCONF # 1:
setslot 4 Crossbow

KEYCONF # 2:
setslot 4 CWeapFlame

I thought of this as well, but discarded it as unimportant. Two loaded wads that both modify weapons are likely to have clashes anyway. Even if they don't, expecting that MOD A loaded with MOD B should work 100% of the time is asking a bit much. There are unpreventable conflicts that arise when combining any two WADs that weren't meant to work together, this is just another case of "deal with it and move on."
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

cccp_leha wrote:BTW, I noticed that during the intro, the guy's mouth moves even when he is not "talking" :).

Heh, no, he talks all the time at a slow measured pace, even when the text is not on screen. His mouth is still moving when you've stopped reading, that's all. :P :) :roll:
Nanami

Post by Nanami »

HotWax wrote:
Nanami wrote:I'm pretty sure KEYCONF isn't cumulative. It may be, but I can see problems with that already:

KEYCONF # 1:
setslot 4 Crossbow

KEYCONF # 2:
setslot 4 CWeapFlame

I thought of this as well, but discarded it as unimportant. Two loaded wads that both modify weapons are likely to have clashes anyway. Even if they don't, expecting that MOD A loaded with MOD B should work 100% of the time is asking a bit much. There are unpreventable conflicts that arise when combining any two WADs that weren't meant to work together, this is just another case of "deal with it and move on."

Heh, that's true. And of course other lumps can overwrite parts of others. That's why load order is important. Of course, if you loaded ZooM's KEYCONF it would totally annihilate any previous KEYCONFs because it "setslots" every slot and redoes the weapons from the ground up, and even reorganizes some of them. o.O
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Nanami wrote:Heh, that's true. And of course other lumps can overwrite parts of others. That's why load order is important. Of course, if you loaded ZooM's KEYCONF it would totally annihilate any previous KEYCONFs because it "setslots" every slot and redoes the weapons from the ground up, and even reorganizes some of them. o.O

Well that's a perfect example of why it doesn't matter. If you loaded ZooM on top of some other weapons mod, even if the KEYCONF didn't get eradicated, the other resources would thoroughly mess up the weapons mod. If you loaded it after, the weapons mod would mess up some of the ZooM weapons. See? It's a non-issue anyway. :)
Goukuma

Post by Goukuma »

Awesome map/mini-mod. It's like what Marine Doom should have been. All-around nice work with realistic caves, creepy labs (sounds + lighting + sheer quantity of test subjects created a good effect) , and a well done large sniping area. I think a DM version could work maybe with added passages and cover.

Is that ending music from the A-Team?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Goukuma wrote:Is that ending music from the A-Team?
Yes.

In 1972 a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum-security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no-one else can help and if you can find them, maybe you can hire - the A-Team.
8-)
David Ferstat

Post by David Ferstat »

Enjay wrote:
In 1972 a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum-security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no-one else can help and if you can find them, maybe you can hire - the A-Team.
8-)

Note the miss-spent youth. ;)

Return to “General”