Motion blur for individual actors/objects?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
rightj223

Motion blur for individual actors/objects?

Post by rightj223 »

Is there a motion blur mod that blurs individual actors instead of the camera? The only mods I know of with motion blur only affect the camera.
hitmanx

Re: Motion blur for individual actors/objects?

Post by hitmanx »

This would be an awesome effect, not sure if it's possible however, you'd probably only see it on lost souls and projectiles (or custom content of course), they're the only things that really move fast enough for motion blur.
rightj223

Post by rightj223 »

hitmanx wrote:This would be an awesome effect, not sure if it's possible however, you'd probably only see it on lost souls and projectiles (or custom content of course), they're the only things that really move fast enough for motion blur.
Yup, that's everything I'm talking about.
Caligari87
User Accounts Assistant
Discord: Caligari87#3089
Github ID: caligari87
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

I'm gonna say probably not possible in GZDoom's current tech paradigm because texture shaders (which would be needed to get the blur effect on the sprite) can't accept scripted inputs. If they could, then in theory you could feed in the actor's velocity relative to the consoleplayer's camera to control the blur intensity.

Camera motion blur works because post-process screen shaders can accept scripted inputs based on stuff like mouse movement and player movement. Of course that affects the whole screen and there's no way to have it just affect one actor on the screen (at least so far as I know).

I'm sure it would be possible to add engine features to support doing this, but it would require a programmer interested in doing the work, and those are in short supply.

8-)

Return to “General”