Plsgb0, whats it all about?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Plsgb0, whats it all about?

Postby osjclatchford » Sat May 07, 2022 2:07 pm

So, don't get me wrong, I've been playing doom since It came out and modding for several years but, something's come to my forebrain attention today thats obviously been burning under the skin for a while now and only just surfaced:

just what the hell is plsgb0 all about?

I mean what is it supposed to represent?

Its like they attempted some kind of reload or pump anim like the sg and then abandonned it, then returned to it just to use the frame to show off the side of the weapon in the angled sprite.

is it a recoil? a 'cooldown' frame as many have called it? or just an excuse on id's part to use a cool frame for the sake of it.

I mean, it doesn't affect gameplay or anything, as although its 20 tics long its pretty unobtrusive...
I only even really started paying attention to it today as I've been recreating it out of pure nostalgia on a new plasmagun for a mod of mine.
but it still left me thinking, why is it even a thing?

so, do I really care?
well, no. not really. :P

But I'm honest enough to admit that I'm curious enough to hear thoughts and musings on the topic because thats the sort of thing thats my jam... because talking about DooM is always my Jam and, in truth, my wife's sick of hearing me ramble on all evening about fictional plasmarifles from a 30 year old game she has no interest in ;D

So what say you?

recoil?
cooldown?
curious doomguy needing to check the settings on the side out of pure OCD?
Doomguy has saint Vitus dance?
some other cool shit too sci-fi or dark-magic enough to mention at this time?

I welcome all honest and utterly stupid responses with open arms!
Last edited by osjclatchford on Sat May 07, 2022 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
osjclatchford

Re: Plsgb0, whats it all about?

Postby nova++ » Sat May 07, 2022 2:12 pm

plasma be hot yo

It adds an interesting rythem to using the plasma gun IMO. Can't just constantly spray plasma at a moment's notice, there's always that slight delay to keep in mind.
nova++
Real life space alien (not fake)

Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit

Postby osjclatchford » Sat May 07, 2022 2:17 pm

yup I suppose balancing out, gameplay makes sense but I guess I was looking for a fluff type explanation.

but yeah I suppose the general consensus is it cooldown, in both heat and gameplay.

i'm still interested as to other interpretations or TBH what the 'official' line is on it...
osjclatchford

Postby nova++ » Sat May 07, 2022 2:28 pm

I guess someone could go and bug john romero on twitter...
nova++
Real life space alien (not fake)

Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit

Postby Enjay » Sat May 07, 2022 2:40 pm

Regardless of purpose, it's certainly the frame that best helps identify the original model source.

Spoiler:
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby osjclatchford » Sat May 07, 2022 2:45 pm

Enjay wrote:Regardless of purpose, it's certainly the frame that best helps identify the original model source.

Spoiler:

I know, its mental, right?

a bud of mine spent over £150 on one of those with no box and half the bits mising in an online auction for this reason alone... I thought I was mad, then he sold it for like $600 odd dollars a week later and I felt like a mug for thinking him mad... I still wonder who ended up with it now... and who they lied to about how much they spent on it..? ;)
osjclatchford

Postby Enjay » Sat May 07, 2022 3:19 pm

osjclatchford wrote:and who they lied to about how much they spent on it..? ;)

:lol:

I've actually got the toy that was used as the source for the minigun (and bits of tekwall).
Spoiler:

When I bought it, I was completely oblivious about its pedigree and it was just a standard-priced toy in a toy shop. I needed it as a prop for a LARP that I ran at a convention. Must have been around 1995/6.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby osjclatchford » Sun May 08, 2022 12:35 am

Oh wow! that was truly a great find then!

and also, which I'm sure you know already, thats also the source of the techpillar and column light too... this ol'd painnless and the big zap gun (that the bfg's made out of) were both used for textures as well as weapon sprites.
all hail fuzzy pumper!
osjclatchford

Postby Matt » Tue May 10, 2022 6:52 pm

I tend to think of the PLSGB0 as a cooldown after shooting, even if you never need to do so no matter how much you fire as long as you don't stop which is the opposite of what one might expect.

It might be a "rule of cool" sort of thing where after you've cleared the entire room you're like posing with the gun, blowing away the smoke, etc. but it feels weird.

Nondiegetically it feels like a deliberate (if half-assed) attempt to balance the weapon by forcing a tradeoff between wasting ammo and being forced into a moment of defencelessness.

(I tend to find myself "fixing" this in a lot of my mods so that you have to stop after X number of shots, while never going into that state if you keep your bursts short and far apart enough)
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby osjclatchford » Thu May 12, 2022 6:38 am

this is fantastic idea, one I've just implemented in my mod.
before I just made the cooldown interuptable using a_weaponready, but that looked odd and made the anim seem like a pointless addition.
But now, based on your suggestion;
It's now up to twenty continuous shots before entering a cooldown.
otherwise, the ready state (or select/deselect too just to be safe) zeroes the counter.
essentially a minor punishment for holding the thing down like a firehose, promoting short controlled bursts!
Also I've added a nice steaming effect to the barrel when raised to reinforce the intended 'overheat/cooldown' nature of the effect, because why not?

thanks Matt!
osjclatchford

Postby Crudux Cruo » Thu May 12, 2022 9:32 am

I always thought it was like a plasma vent animation and they just couldn't or didn't add a noise for venting or other animations.
Crudux Cruo
"It's howdy doody time kiddies, the bad man is here."

Return to General