Hexen without hubs

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Hexen without hubs

Postby doomos » Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:31 am

Hexen, just without hubs -- a rearrangement of all levels in such a way that won't require hubbing back and forth between levels to get keys, hit switches, etc.

I would like such a map mod to play with hexen WAD or with some Brutal Heretic WAD.

For search engines:
  • Hub-free Hexen
  • Hubless Hexen
  • Hexen without hubs
  • Hexen maps with no hubs
Please share information if you know such a thing.
Last edited by doomos on Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
doomos

Re: Hexen without hubs

Postby Graf Zahl » Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:20 am

Such a thing does not exist. The maps were designed for hub play so rearranging them would not be an easy task.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby doomos » Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:13 am

I would gladly try something which is just a whole new set of maps but just also without hubs.
doomos

Postby RKD » Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:49 am

Well, making a whole set of new levels (probably partially inspired by the original ones) with a linear progression is something doable, imo. It will pretty much be Hexen classes, enemies and weapons in Heretic(-like) maps. You may as well just play with this wad then.

On another note, I think this idea of yours should've been posted here, just saying. Users share ideas there all the time. While I don't think this hubless concept is inherently bad, keep in mind that a lot of people feel that the main identity of Hexen gameplay is precisely the hub system, tho. :?
RKD

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit

Postby dasho » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:15 pm

Our current unstable release of Obsidian will generate Hexen levels in a linear fashion. There are no overarching puzzles or hubs, but it can be played through and warped to by the correct MAPINFO trans #. The last level generated, when exited, will take you to the end game sequence.

https://github.com/dashodanger/Obsidian ... t-Unstable

It might be worth a shot

EDIT: Hexen support is very recent, even in terms of the unstable branch, so there may be some oddities. I know right now some Hexen things will randomly be assigned a Z-height much greater than intended, for instance.
dasho

Postby Gez » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:32 pm

A way to cheese the requirement is to go the Memorial route and just merge every hub into a single level. You can even use music changes so that it plays exactly like if it were the original hub!
Gez

Postby MartinHowe » Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:19 pm

I'll definitely investigate these suggestions when I have time; I loved the overall feel of HeXen, most of the architecture, monsters and weapons are cool, but hated the puzzles and hubs. If I was rich I'd pay somebody to do a 'HeXen the way Heretic was Done' or something :) Obsidian seems a good way forward in particular.
MartinHowe
In space, no-one can hear you KILL an ALIEN

Postby brick » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:16 pm

You might also be interested in this wad:
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/level ... o/necrosis
It's pretty much "Heretic map design using Hexen mechanics". All the classes and weapons are from Hexen, plus a few new weapons, enemies are mix and match from both games. No hubs, maps follow in linear fashion like in Heretic, and progression within each map also closely mirrors the Heretic school.
brick

Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Return to General