New forum design??

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

New forum design??

Postby Apeirogon » Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:20 am

I have a feeling that I point on the elephant in the room, but zdoom forum have new design. At least for me it looks like this

Problem is, its 1 april on a calendar, and.....its a joke?
Or we actually moving into the 'web 2.0' era?
Apeirogon
I have a strange sense of humour

Re: New forum design??

Postby Gez » Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:13 am

I don't know what you're talking about, the ZDoom forums have always looked like this?
Gez

Postby _OniriA_ » Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:47 am

It was specially done to fit your avatar :lol:
_OniriA_

Postby Apeirogon » Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:22 pm

Awww, it was too good as for a one day joke
Apeirogon
I have a strange sense of humour

Postby wildweasel » Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:14 pm

If you want to use it anyway, the theme is called subMerged and you can access it from your User Control Panel under Board Preferences.
wildweasel
from a different perspective.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby doomos » Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:39 am

I can suggest considering migrating the forums into any new platform which, on one side, supports markdown, and on the other side, it's easy to migrate to.

Perhaps, a Drupal CMS based forum?
doomos

Postby Gez » Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:45 am

This is an April Fools thread.
Gez

Postby Rachael » Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:26 pm

Furthermore it's easy to say "juuuuuust do this or that". It's really not that easy.

First there are a loss of features which are important with an upgrade. They might not matter to you, but they have various uses.

Secondly, there is also the issue with conversion of the old content with the new. There may not be scripts available to get the content we need.

And thirdly, there is also the issue of the learning curve with the new software for everyone.
Rachael
^ walking stack of unfinished projects ^
Admin

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle

Postby Gez » Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:36 am

Personally, I've been using BBCode for two decades, and I can never remember Markdown.
Gez

Postby leileilol » Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:46 pm

There's always one person who thinks bbcode forums are antiquated and should be replaced by new, 'simpler' markdown forums.

I've seen one community try to do this to revive their phpBB forum with some extremely-javascript-depending mobile-friendly "modern" forum that resembles a slightly prettified mailing list at best, and forced an ugly font setting because they "had no choice". Users were alienated, and both forums effectively died.
leileilol
フォニュエール!!!!!!!!!!

Postby ramon.dexter » Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:13 am

doomos wrote:I can suggest considering migrating the forums into any new platform which, on one side, supports markdown, and on the other side, it's easy to migrate to.

Perhaps, a Drupal CMS based forum?

Don't try to fix what's not broken.
ramon.dexter
rudebwoy

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Enjay » Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:06 am

ramon.dexter wrote:Don't try to fix what's not broken.

Indeed. And, personally speaking, I actually like the end-user experience of a phpBB forum. It might just be because of familiarity but I am a member of several forums centred on various areas of interest. Some use phpBB and others use more "modern" alternatives. Without exception, I find the phpBB ones easier to navigate, better laid out and more functional than the others.

I do find the phpBB moderator and admin tools a bit of an inconsistent maze at times, but manageable. I can't really comment about how those compare with the equivalent tools in other systems.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Graf Zahl » Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:28 am

doomos wrote:Perhaps, a Drupal CMS based forum?

Just doing a bit of reading on this stuff gives me the creeps. Why do modern websites always have to resort to overcomplicated solutions to solve simple problems that had been solved by simpler means and far more efficiently in the past already?

The entirety of zdoom.org is how a website should be done - no need for Javascript - no annoying popups and overall a simple and efficient design. In short: It's the kind of website I like to come back to.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby doomos » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:57 am

ramon.dexter wrote:Don't try to fix what's not broken.

I understand this metaphoric rule and agree with it.
Given the feedback so far I take back my above suggestion.
I should get to know BBCode better.
doomos

Postby Rachael » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:25 am

Get in the habit of hitting "post reply" for your posts. You don't need to learn much BB Code when the editor does it for you. You highlight an area you want italicized, and hit the i button - works like a charm. Need it bolded? B.

Even as someone who knows BBCode already, the I still use the editor from time to time (even if it is rarely) because it helps me type out my posts more efficiently.

If you're worried about how the post is going to look, you can also press "Preview" and it will do exactly as it says - it'll give you a preview, without actually submitting the post, that way you can make corrections. It's also a good way to practice BBCode in general, too.
Rachael
^ walking stack of unfinished projects ^
Admin

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle

Next

Return to General