Do you dare enter TEH FOREST?!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Postby Lexus Alyus » Sat Oct 18, 2003 5:19 am

Well, I suppose it does have that effect... but it's still worrying, the idea of the unknown, you don't know where that monster is. I like stealth monsters, I don't adore them and I definately don't abhore them, but, I don't think it wise to use them sparsly. At least, not unless I want anyone to get really annoyed with my level :-).

Yes, your very right, it is the lack of monsters that adds to the atmosphere, that was intensional. It's this unpredictibility that makes the atmosphere, and I'm really glad you enjoyed it (quite cool, we've both honoured each others work :-D). I think for the second one I might add really ingeneous scripting such as making monster placements random (but only to a certain extent) or maybe the number of monsters random. I could also make certain events happen at random intervals, or sometimes certain events don't happen. Take for example; You play the map through and you come across a dead body that you can examine (using the [use key]). On the first play through nothing happens, you just look at it and an explination comes on the screen. Maybe on like the second or third play through the body actually raises from the dead and starts attacking you. Then after that you don't know if or when it will jump up again :-D. That's a crap example, but you get the idea... I hope :-D.

:twisted:
Lexus Alyus
One day, I may actually release something...

Postby Ty Halderman » Sun Oct 19, 2003 1:38 pm

Odd thought: If the stealth monsters have TIDs, can you hurt them a tiny bit every so often to cause them to appear, or do they only appear when shot or shooting? You'd probably have to heal them as well or you'd kill everything, of course :)
Ty Halderman
I'm free! ...or at least inexpensive.
... in loving memory ...

Postby Killo Zapit » Sun Oct 19, 2003 7:19 pm

Isn't there a APROP_Alpha actor property? You might be able to just use that. The problem is of course, that you might only want the stealth monsters to be visable a tiny bit but only when moveing, witch is hard to script.
Killo Zapit
PIGBUTT LIVES AGAIN!

Postby HotWax » Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:15 am

Lexus Alyus wrote:Well, I suppose it does have that effect... but it's still worrying, the idea of the unknown, you don't know where that monster is. I like stealth monsters, I don't adore them and I definately don't abhore them, but, I don't think it wise to use them sparsly. At least, not unless I want anyone to get really annoyed with my level :-).

Yes, your very right, it is the lack of monsters that adds to the atmosphere, that was intensional. It's this unpredictibility that makes the atmosphere, and I'm really glad you enjoyed it (quite cool, we've both honoured each others work :-D). I think for the second one I might add really ingeneous scripting such as making monster placements random (but only to a certain extent) or maybe the number of monsters random. I could also make certain events happen at random intervals, or sometimes certain events don't happen. Take for example; You play the map through and you come across a dead body that you can examine (using the [use key]). On the first play through nothing happens, you just look at it and an explination comes on the screen. Maybe on like the second or third play through the body actually raises from the dead and starts attacking you. Then after that you don't know if or when it will jump up again :-D. That's a crap example, but you get the idea... I hope :-D.

That's a fantastic idea. Not only does it make you nervous when playing through levels for the second/third/fourth time, but it adds replayability to the levels. That would make things alot more interesting, says I.
HotWax
Do what you must, and pay the price later.

Postby Lexus Alyus » Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:56 pm

I know, but it would take an awfull amount of time to do. I'm gonna hold ROTGS2 production for a short time, just while I try to make some small levels with scripts just so I can really come to grips with scripting. Once I'm confident enough, I'll give it a really good try! :-)

Lexus Alyus
One day, I may actually release something...

Previous

Return to General