Do you dare enter TEH FOREST?!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Postby Xaser » Mon Oct 13, 2003 3:20 pm

OKAY!!! I GIVE UP!!!

Man, I've really wanted to try ROTGS for a long time, but I have no clue where to find it. I'm sure at least ONE of you knows! :)
Xaser
anarchivist

Postby Nanami » Mon Oct 13, 2003 4:14 pm

Nanami
Natdhipytadd

Postby Goukuma » Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:03 pm

Damn that's a huge forest. Pretty cool unusual level and boss. A couple suggestions:
1. Make his attack more threatening somehow, he only did it twice and hit me one of those times while I was fighting him.
2. Make the level end (either with a script or using Romero head death code pointer) or have an exit open when you beat him. A weird exit showing up in a center area could probably be made pretty cool.

BTW, is that music from Phantasy Star? Specifically Ruins in Phantasy Star Online.
Goukuma
Messatsu Oni Kyouaku Resshuu!

Postby Killo Zapit » Wed Oct 15, 2003 12:12 am

Scary forest! Haven't been that freaked out by a monster in a first person game since the Shadow Beast form Ultima Underworld. Okay, so the Shadow Beast was a wuss. It STILL scared me half to death. Two things you should do though. Make the boss a stealth monster, and make it noclipping. Now THAT would be scary. Or mabey I just have a phobia of invisable monsters that can move through walls.
Killo Zapit
PIGBUTT LIVES AGAIN!

Postby bimshwel » Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:36 am

What's the deal with those giant mushrooms?
bimshwel
only as old as I feel, and I feel like dirt

Discord: bimshwel #7516

Postby Ultraviolet » Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:22 pm

Evil Mittens wrote:What's the deal with those giant mushrooms?
Smegging SWEET idea!
Ultraviolet
AKA "Faint"

Postby Lexus Alyus » Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:16 am

Killo Zapit wrote:Scary forest! Haven't been that freaked out by a monster in a first person game since the Shadow Beast form Ultima Underworld. Okay, so the Shadow Beast was a wuss. It STILL scared me half to death. Two things you should do though. Make the boss a stealth monster, and make it noclipping. Now THAT would be scary. Or mabey I just have a phobia of invisable monsters that can move through walls.

Damn straight it would be scary... could implement that in ROTGS2...

Why did Zell sound so surp5ised at the fact that I single handedly made ROTGS?
Lexus Alyus
One day, I may actually release something...

Postby Cutmanmike » Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:09 am

Hey now this was a simple wad I coughed out one day while drinking too much. And I had infinite ammo on while I tested it, so I completley forgot about ammo, but still, glad it scared ye.
Cutmanmike
Is it hot in here or is it just ZScript

Discord: https://discord.gg/Whts7Bj
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit

Postby Nanami » Thu Oct 16, 2003 11:12 am

Lexus Alyus wrote:
Killo Zapit wrote:Scary forest! Haven't been that freaked out by a monster in a first person game since the Shadow Beast form Ultima Underworld. Okay, so the Shadow Beast was a wuss. It STILL scared me half to death. Two things you should do though. Make the boss a stealth monster, and make it noclipping. Now THAT would be scary. Or mabey I just have a phobia of invisable monsters that can move through walls.

Just please don't make any stealth monsters. That was my only complaint about ROTGS... A few is okay but stealth revenants and arachnotrons aren't cool...

I remember either TNT2 or TNT3 had a stealth arch-vile, that was annoying as hell.
Nanami
Natdhipytadd

Postby Zell » Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:25 pm

Lexus Alyus wrote:Why did Zell sound so surp5ised at the fact that I single handedly made ROTGS?

uhhh wrong person ^_^
Zell
:O ALIVE[again]

Postby Killo Zapit » Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:25 am

Nanami wrote:
Lexus Alyus wrote:

Just please don't make any stealth monsters. That was my only complaint about ROTGS... A few is okay but stealth revenants and arachnotrons aren't cool...

I remember either TNT2 or TNT3 had a stealth arch-vile, that was annoying as hell.

I always thought stealth monsters were kind of neat, but I see your point.
Idealy I would like to see a version of stealth witch every once and a while would show monsters briefly while moving.
Killo Zapit
PIGBUTT LIVES AGAIN!

Postby Hirogen2 » Fri Oct 17, 2003 11:27 am

You could could put a stealth archvile for Nightmare skill or Cooperative mode
in ;) but leave it out otherwise.
Hirogen2

Github ID: jengelh
Operating System: RedHat-like Linux (RHEL, Fedora, CentOS, etc) 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Lexus Alyus » Sat Oct 18, 2003 4:55 am

Sorry Zell :-D.

As for the stealth monsters, I know why everyone hates them, it's because they really shit you up. That's the whole idea why I implemented them. Also, some people said that ROTGS was way too hard. Well, all I can say is 1) it's not that hard on medeum difficulty, there is nothing wrong with going down a skill level and 2) if it wasn't hard, it would'nt be that much fun (Sorry if I sound like I'm bitching, I'm not :-D). I persionally hate stealth monsters, but when I know they are around I am scared! It's that element of fear that I love, and it's that element that i am trying to capture in ROTGS. Beware, as I map more and develop my ideas more ROTGS will be getting even more scary. Sorry, I'm just a freeak that likes horror too much :-D.

I think Cutmanmikes level was really good and interesting. That thing looked quite freaky at first glances, and having a spectral head chasing after you THAT fast is quite freaky :-). I definately think you should make it into a full level with more ideas and maybe an exit. Definately a good start :-).

Oh, by the way, it was TNT 1 that used the stealth arch ville, but admit it, you were scared :-D.

Think of a stealth monster that can go through walls, now that would scare you! Although weather or not I use that idea is a mystery :twisted:

:twisted:
Lexus Alyus

Postby Lexus Alyus » Sat Oct 18, 2003 4:57 am

Wow, so many emoticons :-D

:twisted:
Lexus Alyus

Postby Enjay » Sat Oct 18, 2003 5:09 am

As you know, I found ROTGS a very atmospheric WAD. The look of the abandoned/ corrupted rail system and the music - oh the music - were real showstoppers and made the WAD one of the first genuinely spooky/ scary ones I had played for a long time. For me, it wasn't the use of monsters, but rather the lack of monsters in certain places that I found scary. Of course, that is because I was "scared" of what might be round the next corner. :)

As for stealth monsters, they do not scare me - they annoy me. I find them frustrating to fight and I feel as if they are cheating. I don't find that scary at all. When I realise I'm up against one - it's like "oh shit" - but not a scared "oh s-s-s-shit", but more of a disappointed "aw fukkit, he's stuck one of those in" kind of "oh shit". They actually pull me out of the immersion in the level because I immediately start thinking about how they are programmed, thinking of how doom monsters behave and trying to work out how far and in what direction they are likely to have travelled since I last saw them. I don't find that an enjoyable challenge and to me it doesn't feel real. I'm being challenged by the programming of the monster (ok, so I know that's true all the time) not an "actual" monster. If I get killed more than once when fighting such a monster, I'm likely to disengage totally from the atmosphere and reach for GOD mode, at least until the battle is done. :(
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

PreviousNext

Return to General