is theres something to improve the performance of gzdoom?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

is theres something to improve the performance of gzdoom?

Postby Doge » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:55 pm

I been playing doom with gzdoom for a long time and i updated when theres a new update.....but theres a real problem...the performance,i always has this problem and i ask everywhere and i didnt have a exact response the why the performance in big map in gzdoom is that bad

Example:I tried to play a slaughterwad recently and my game has 10-20 fps maximun and other modern games with bigger graphics then doom run to 60 fps with medium graphics

And my question is the next.....Is there a form to get better performance in gzdoom in larger maps? :geek:

Specs:

Gtx 980
16 gb of ram
intel core i7-6700 2.60ghz
Doge

Re: is theres something to improve the performance of gzdoom

Postby Caligari87 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:24 pm

Graphics aren't the issue (usually). The most likely bottleneck is your clock speed, especially for geometrically-complex maps or slaughtermaps with lots of actors. Modern games have multithreading and rely most on the GPU to push a lot of polygons, but GZDoom relies on single-threaded CPU performance to process the map structure and actor scripting (which is far more complex in GZDoom than classic Doom). Unfortunately there's not really any way to get around this without breaking literally everything "Doom" about the engine and starting from scratch.

A secondary problem might be your GPU if it doesn't support more modern rendering technology that GZDoom has been starting to use, but I kind of doubt that's the case.

The only real recommendation is to play maps with fewer monsters, and/or maps with less complex geometry. The other option is to get a new CPU with better base clock speed.

8-)
Caligari87
I'm just here for the community
User Accounts Assistant

Discord: Caligari87#3089

Postby Rachael » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:49 pm

Doge wrote:slaughterwad

Doge wrote:Gtx 980

Doge wrote:intel core i7-6700 2.60ghz

The problem here is easy to identify. Unfortunately, that slow CPU is what's killing you, that GTX is on the moderate-to-high end for GZDoom's usage. (Though, depending on the mods, even it can buckle under the pressure if there's too many draw objects going to the screen)

To further add to what Cali is suggesting - don't load mods like Project Brutality or Brutal Doom. Those will slow GZDoom far far more than already problematic with slaughter maps.
Rachael
Admin

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc) 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Doge » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:53 pm

ok,thanks for the info
Doge

Postby Matt » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:16 pm

Out of curiosity, how optimized is Project Brutality's code compared to BD's? Last I looked at BD's it was... well, let's just say there's a lot more going on for any given thing to happen than either a naïve or a sophisticated user might think.
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby wildweasel » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:23 pm

Matt wrote:Out of curiosity, how optimized is Project Brutality's code compared to BD's? Last I looked at BD's it was... well, let's just say there's a lot more going on for any given thing to happen than either a naïve or a sophisticated user might think.

Don't take this as a professional opinion, since I'm going entirely by hearsay, but most that I've heard about PB is that they don't really seek to fix Brutal, so much as add things on to it.
wildweasel
from a different perspective.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Logan MTM » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:59 pm

Rachael wrote:To further add to what Cali is suggesting - don't load mods like Project Brutality or Brutal Doom. Those will slow GZDoom far far more than already problematic with slaughter maps.

Probablly is the case because my GPU from 2010's runs GZDoom every nicly! :?
Logan MTM
I can see you...

Return to General