Computer Specs

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Computer Specs

Postby Kappes Buur » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:41 pm

My present computer is showing it's age, playing some pwad, which I really like, at ca 3 to 10 fps

Spoiler:

With more and more excellent maps for UDMF appearing I find myself wondering what a halfways good computer would be to play at a decent fps rate.

Could someone provide any advice with what components would be good for motherboard, CPU, RAM and GPU, not cutting edge though, my budget is limited.
Kappes Buur

Re: Computer Specs

Postby Graf Zahl » Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:35 am

What PWAD is that? I just looked up your CPU, it's roughly 60% the performance of my current i7-3770 which also starts to show its age.
Actually, your system does not look *that* bad, so if you get less than 10fps on a certain map you cannot expect any miracles with a more recent system. It may still lag there, but that's hard to tell without knowing what the map's bottleneck is.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby Hellser » Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:08 pm

I would recommend an AMD system. Not knowing your budget and going off of the emergency upgrade budget I had, I would recommend either a B450 or B550 motherboard with an AMD Ryzen 5 3600. The CPU is pretty beefy thanks to having 6 cores and 12 hyperthreads. RAM is pretty cheap. Go with a brand you're familiar with; Kingston, Crucial, Corsair and G.SKILL are some good companies.

Sadly, getting a new video card today will cost you an arm and a leg. That GTX 660 is a good card. If you're aiming to play newer games, you will want to upgrade eventually. But for right now, try to maintain that card the best you can. Clean it out, apply new thermal paste if you're knowledgeable. If you do need to upgrade the video card, the cheapest and best all rounder you could get is a nVidia GTX 1060 or a Radeon RX 580.
Hellser
Remember Citadel
Global Moderator

Discord: Hellser#8156
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: Yes (Using Development/Testing Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby Kappes Buur » Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:56 pm

Graf Zahl wrote:What PWAD is that? I just looked up your CPU, it's roughly 60% the performance of my current i7-3770 which also starts to show its age.
Actually, your system does not look *that* bad, so if you get less than 10fps on a certain map you cannot expect any miracles with a more recent system. It may still lag there, but that's hard to tell without knowing what the map's bottleneck is.

My worst experience was with Siberian Tiger's Abandoned Misery
Other pwads , such as Dragon Sector The Remake or Breathless Redux,
run slow in some parts of the map and speed up in others which is annoying me somewhat.

I lean more towards a slight computer upgrade since other apps, such as Freecad, Kicad, MOVAVI, etc. are suffering a bit as well.
Last edited by Kappes Buur on Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kappes Buur

Postby Kappes Buur » Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:14 pm

Hellser wrote:I would recommend an AMD system. Not knowing your budget and going off of the emergency upgrade budget I had, I would recommend either a B450 or B550 motherboard with an AMD Ryzen 5 3600. The CPU is pretty beefy thanks to having 6 cores and 12 hyperthreads. RAM is pretty cheap. Go with a brand you're familiar with; Kingston, Crucial, Corsair and G.SKILL are some good companies.

I think I am going with:
  • ROG STRIX B550-A Gaming
  • Ryzen™ 5 5600X
  • Ripjaws V Series 32GB

anything above those specs it too prohibitively expensive.

Hellser wrote:Sadly, getting a new video card today will cost you an arm and a leg. That GTX 660 is a good card.

No kidding.
The local computer shop doesn't have anything but RTX cards. I want to stay with Nvidia, so yes, the GTX 660 has to be it for the time being.
Kappes Buur

Postby Hellser » Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:58 pm

Good board and processor! 32GB is overkill - 32GB might be exactly what you need.. and RAM is cheap now a days so. Go for it. :D
Hellser
Remember Citadel
Global Moderator

Postby Rachael » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:24 pm

With RAM nothing is overkill.
Rachael
Admin

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby KynikossDragonn » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:38 pm

Rachael wrote:With RAM nothing is overkill.

Considering that virtually every webbrowser and "Electron" app is instant memory leaks, yeah I'd probably end up recommending 64 GB of physical RAM.
KynikossDragonn
『霧雨魔理沙のペットドラゴン』

Twitch ID: kynikossdragonn
Github ID: KynikossDragonn
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby nova++ » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:12 pm

Somehow I've never managed to have any trouble with running out of my 16GB since I got it in early 2017... Ok, well there was that one time, but it was entirely my fault and we don't talk about it
nova++
Real life space alien (not fake)

Discord: PM me!
Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc) 64-bit

Postby Graf Zahl » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:18 am

Kappes Buur wrote:
Graf Zahl wrote:What PWAD is that? I just looked up your CPU, it's roughly 60% the performance of my current i7-3770 which also starts to show its age.

My worst experience was with Siberian Tiger's Abandoned Misery

I don't think you will find any system this runs well on. It is some of those mods that uses the most performance critical features with reckless abandon.
Kappes Buur wrote:Other pwads , such as Dragon Sector The Remake or

On that mod you will have to disable the shadowmap feature. It has so many lights that it starts to choke on the processing overhead. A new CPU won't really help you with this one - it's strictly GPU bound.
Graf Zahl

Postby Kappes Buur » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:04 pm

Now that my computer is updated with the parts mentioned above, I can report back on the performance when running Tiger's Abandoned Misery.

On the old system I got 4 fps when starting the pwad and playing was more of a slideshow.
Now I start out with 21 fps, and while gameplay is not ideal, I get up to 200 fps in spots.

:D
Kappes Buur

Postby Hellser » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:33 am

Sweet!
Hellser
Remember Citadel
Global Moderator

Return to General