Tormentor's Torment & Torture & Tormentor News 667

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Belial

Post by Belial »

The reaction would be 'pointless POS'.

That's not an opinion, it's a fact.
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

Yes, but those same people would say precisely the same thing about a real life art gallery, museum, etc. No-one else should give a second thought to what such mentally undeveloped, shallow, immature little SOBs like that think :P.
Last edited by NiGHTMARE on Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Well, it's a very complicated thing and that's why we will never be able to end the discussion between detail and gameplay. But I found out - during playing many differen 3d shooters and games like that - that the range of compensation between detail and gameplay is very large. A map doesn't have to have 50% good gameplay and 50% good detail to work. But truly, 75% Gamplay and just 25% detail is not as good as 75% detail and 25% gameplay, trust me. With detail in this case I don't think about cramped areas with thousands of small platforms and light sources, with detail I mean admireable architecture and scenery, never seen before in a map. Just imagine Unreal, honestly, the gameplay wasn't that impressive but the scenery... NaPali, the castles, the wide open areas, this was so damn impressive and this is why Unreal was one of the most successful games in its time.

This is something I am always workin on when I created the scenery of TNT, I wanted to create places which have never been seen before in a Doom Environment, imagine the thunders and lightning in TNT2, imagine the large battle arena, just think about the floating castle in a sea of fire in TNT3 and now imagine all these flying comets crashing down to the ground while you battle agains millions of demons :) And this is why I prefer detail (=architecture and atmosphere), not gameplay (=/= no gameplay!)
Nmn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Nmn »

What's there to be pretty about an 11 year old game?

Architecture's innovativness and aesthetics do count, but innovative and FUN gameplay contrbutes much more.

Unlress we're talking about Sitter's maps ;)
Belial

Post by Belial »

@NiGHTMARE: I don't know whether to feel offended or just :lol: at that pile of nonsense.

@Torm: I disagree completely. Unreal's graphics were just an addition to the great gameplay. The weapons, the enemies and all the other things gameplay consists of were much more important.

@NMN: Agreed, seconded and all that. Dunno about Sitter's maps though.
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

Art can take many forms...
SyntherAugustus

Post by SyntherAugustus »

Out of curiousity did you see any of those "kdizd drama" threads around here and dwf? (not the very original nightmare threads, the pure hellspawn one and nightmare made after it got locked).

oh yeah, and what it all lead to..

http://max2.tradingsystems.net/nbworld.jpg

If threads like that showed up because I "leave" and I see them eventually I'd be pretty speechless.

Not to start discussion, just wondering.
Nmn

Post by Nmn »

Before the thread gets locked..
Belial wrote: @Torm: I disagree completely. Unreal's graphics were just an addition to the great gameplay. The weapons, the enemies and all the other things gameplay consists of were much more important.
In fact. Tough the weapons were rather unbalanced IMO (Return to Na Pali has this done slightly better..) many gameplay elements (titans alone are much superior to cyberdemons/tanks/whatever) got stored in my memory for a long time.

Not only that, the ideas and concepts in that game were godlike. Floating islands, spaceships crashed in valleys, alien mothership, mountain that reaches above clouds (Spire), and all unbelievable custom-made levels (like Operation Na Pali) I got the chance to play , the whole goddamn Na Pali ownz Stroggos into eternity. :rock:
Last edited by Nmn on Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Talonos

Post by Talonos »

Please try to make this co-opable.

I tried to Co-op with TNT:LE, and it worked well, for the most part. The only problems we came across were a few doors that only open once, and then close for ever. One player went through, and the rest were stuck behind it.

Me and my Zdoom club would really appreceate it if you could get them to work multi-player.

Solar-snowfall is a rising decorate star, as well. He can make some really cool decorate monsters (Though he isn't a sprite artist.) If you're looking for more decorate monsters, you might want to PM him.

Finally, ignore deathz0r. If you ignore people like that, they will go away. He only does stuff like that to get people upset. Refuse to get upset, and you win.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Nmn wrote:Not only that, the ideas and concepts in that game were godlike. Floating islands, spaceships crashed in valleys, alien mothership, mountain that reaches above clouds (Spire), and all unbelievable custom-made levels (like Operation Na Pali) I got the chance to play , the whole goddamn Na Pali ownz Stroggos into eternity. :rock:
This is what I meant with innovative and atmospheric architecture ;) Thx for obviously helping me without even knowing, hehe :)
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

please try to map for Doom3 Torm. I bet you would learn quickly as I'm trying to map for it also.
Nmn

Post by Nmn »

I know You drain inspiration from unreal games because You used their tunes in Your maps ;)

I wanted to state my point-that unreal is in fact one of the finest examples of conceptual grandness in an fpp game. if only Unreal 2 had more gameplay *sigh*
Belial

Post by Belial »

NiGHTMARE wrote:Art can take many forms...
Uhh... yeah right.

If I ever were to consider Doom mapping 'art', I'd say that a Doom map is good when it plays good, not when it looks good.

According to that, Scythe 2 (Scythe, AV, Rebirth, Kama Sutra, Darkening, Equinox) is art, your map wouldn't be.
Nmn

Post by Nmn »

Belial wrote: If I ever were to consider Doom mapping 'art', I'd say that a Doom map is good when it plays good, not when it looks good.

According to that, Scythe 2 (Scythe, AV, Rebirth, Kama Sutra, Darkening, Equinox) is art, your map wouldn't be.
Agreed. Because it's a game. Not a rendering soft ;)
SyntherAugustus

Post by SyntherAugustus »

Effects that will kill your CPU
Hopefully not my amd 3000+. ;) Nice map as always.

Return to “General”