Play As Monsters (yet again)

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Play As Monsters (yet again)

Postby Hell-met » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:32 am

Greetings folks

Apologies if this is in the wrong section

1. I've been searching for good play-as-monster mods for GZdoom and I understand the topic has been deemed as tiresome for ages. Indeed, everywhere I've looked people just sigh and pretend there's a hundred of those all over the place.

The thing is, there doesn't seem to be any. The only playable monsters mods I can find or think of are spicezdoom (rip) and Empathy. Empathy is cool but it has very nasty weapon graphics and a ton of weird custom monsters. It's also lacking the basic marine class which makes it a poor candidate for multiplayer shenanigans. Brutal doom and Hearts of Demons have cool barons but they're too limited or specialized for what I'm looking for.

Is there some secret good playable monster mod I've been missing out on? Please, where are they?

2. Does anyone remember this really old mod where every doom2 monster is replaced with a different color doom marine that uses corresponding player weapons against the player? The baron npc was replaced with a yellow marine with the BFG, for instance. I can't find that one anymore anywhere

Thanks in advance
Hell-met

Re: Play As Monsters (yet again)

Postby Ermac » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:01 pm

These mods are pretty decent for what they are.

Impy Vendetta: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=68705
Hearts of Demons - BARON: viewtopic.php?t=53867
Hearts of Demons - REVENANT: viewtopic.php?t=63173
Ermac

Discord: Ermac#4730
Github ID: iAmErmac
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Captain Ventris » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:24 pm

You could try Possess Me: viewtopic.php?p=628059#p628059

Or access Possess Me via Doomvengers, where it’s received some love and care to be a bit more refined: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=33349&hilit=Doomvengers
Captain Ventris
Buy my novel, “The Shadow Among The Stars” on Amazon or Itch.io!

Postby Hell-met » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:48 pm

Captain Ventris wrote:You could try Possess Me: viewtopic.php?p=628059#p628059

Or access Possess Me via Doomvengers, where it’s received some love and care to be a bit more refined: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=33349&hilit=Doomvengers

Thank you! This is really good. Only wish the "ghost" was just a regular doomguy though.
Hell-met

Postby openroadracer » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:53 pm

You could try this on for size: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=73290

It's a universal possession mod that lets you run it with pretty much whatever mods you like.
openroadracer

Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Return to General