Voxel Weapons for Strife?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Voxel Weapons for Strife?

Postby Tausendberg » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:12 pm

I'm a 3d Animator who has recently gotten into VR and it was a great trip playing DOOM and DOOM 2 in VR using the excellent voxel weapons that are included with GZDOOMVR.

This gets me thinking, I'd like to do a VR playthrough of my personal favorite DOOM engine game, Strife, and because I like the aesthetic of Voxel weapons in the context of DOOM engine games in VR (I really feel it 'matches'), I'm thinking I should just go ahead and make a Voxel weapon pack for Strife.

My issue is, I don't quite know where to begin, literally, I'll be in Autodesk Maya with no clear idea of how I get the data I cook up there into a .PK3

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I'm grateful to have experienced voxel weapons in Heretic and Doom and want to contribute, it does amazing things for immersion, I really want to hold a sigil and an electric crossbow in my hands.
Tausendberg

Re: Voxel Weapons for Strife?

Postby Cherno » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:50 pm

Voxel models are commonly made with the free Magicavoxel. From there, it can be exported to obj, and then either used directly, imported into your 3d modeling app for futher editing, or converted to MD3 with Noesis.
Cherno

Postby Tausendberg » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:10 am

Oh, I didn't mean how to make Voxel models, I have done that before and can just do it in Maya, no big deal, (though I'll check out Magicavoxel if it's free and optimized specifically for voxels).

What I specifically need to know is how to bring that into the game engine.

I looked into it further and I can now see that .pk3 files are actually just zip files and all I have to do is change the extension to access the constituent parts inside.

All I would really need at this point, and I don't know if any such thing exists, is either an already fully existing weapon .pk3 for Strife or even just a sort of 'dummy' .pk3 which doesn't have any real 3d models but just placeholder data that I could swap my .png's and .md3's into. In particular when I open the .pk3 file, in the root directory there's a file "Modeldef.Doom.Weapons" and I opened it up in Notepad but I wouldn't know what correct values to put in for Strife or even what to call that file.
Tausendberg

Postby Ermac » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:12 am

Hey so I've been thinking of making VR weapons pack for Strife as well but I'm no 3d artist and couldn't make one without existing models. If you can make the strife weapons in voxel (kvx or vox) or 3d format (fbx or obj) I can help you preparing the pk3 file with necessary scripts. Or you can start taking a look at zdoom wiki for MODELDEF and decorates. To use the models in GZDoom i recommend using md3 format (you can convert obj or fbx into md3 using Noesis).
Ermac

Discord: Ermac#4730
Github ID: iAmErmac
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby ramon.dexter » Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:09 pm

ramon.dexter
rudebwoy

OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)

Postby Tempest Savingkack » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:29 pm

Hi ramon.dexter, glad seeing you posted a new beta for your mod. Am I allowed to take the models to make the vanilla Strife weapon for VR?
Tempest Savingkack

Postby ramon.dexter » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:52 pm

Sorry, nope. I'm also making a vr weapons mod. Just take a look on how its done and make your own models.

Also, please, log in. Members who are logged in dont have to answer a queetion when posting, so you can clearly see that you are not logged in.
ramon.dexter
rudebwoy

OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)

Postby Ermac » Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:44 am

Hey sorry I realized later that I wasn't logged in, silly me. Anyway I hope to see a vr version of your mod soon. Keep up the good work.
Ermac

Discord: Ermac#4730
Github ID: iAmErmac

Return to General