The 2021 Cacowards Mentionation Thread

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

The 2021 Cacowards Mentionation Thread

Postby Kinsie » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:36 am

People like the Cacowards. As one of the judges, I'd like for the rest of the judging panel to get a better look at all the cool stuff posted on ZDF (and also, I'd like to make my own life easier come November!) So, let's imitate the annual Doomworld thread and get your perspective on things!

Here's the deal:
  • If you play something you find particularly fun, beautiful, clever, or mind blowing... mention it!
  • Post the name and author of a project and a link to its download.
  • This thread is merely a place to mention outstanding works of Doom. Keep conversations about projects to a minimum.
  • Winners are not chosen by the number of "likes" or the amount of times the project is "nominated" - Judges use the thread to find projects worth playing and decide winners based on personal preferences.
  • Please do not nominate your own project.
  • This thread is NOT necessarily limited to ZDoom-family projects or projects posted on the ZDoom forums, even if that's the focus. If you see something cool for EDGE, Eternity, DelphiDoom et al, or its posted on Doomworld, Itch, etc., feel free to post it!
  • Don't exclusively mention Big Crazy Huge projects! We're also interested in seeing cool, quirky and useful smaller things as part of the Mini-Mod Safari.
  • At the end of each year, there's a grace period to ensure that all releases get fair consideration. In other words, everything released or given a significant update from about mid-November 2020 onwards is up for consideration for the 2021 Cacowards.

Happy Dooming!
Last edited by Kinsie on Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kinsie
Dog Days

Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Re: The 2021 Cacowards Mentionation Thread

Postby Dr_Cosmobyte » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:18 pm

Well, allow me to start the engine then. Even though i've never played it (yet), i believe DeusDoom by cyber_cool is a fine work that demands a big effort, and just proves what ZScript can do, i'm eager for LZDoom to catch up with it, if possible. Also, i haven't heard a single word depreciating this, so, what can go wrong?

As for a Mini-mod Safari thing, i'd say LiveReverb by SunBeam is great too. It's on my autoload for weeks now.

As for another gameplay mod, i'm going to sliiiightly step outside the pad to say Malice by TheRailgunner DEFINITELY needs some eyes on it. The dude is putting his skills to it and i know the mod can be bigger.

Haven't played too much maps this year, unfortunately. So i'll leave that column blank.
Last edited by Dr_Cosmobyte on Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr_Cosmobyte
Also known as: GAA1992

Postby Kinsie » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:10 pm

Emphasizing:
Post the name and author of a project and a link to its download.
Kinsie
Dog Days

Postby Dr_Cosmobyte » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:00 am

Apologies, will edit.
Dr_Cosmobyte
Also known as: GAA1992

Postby Kinsie » Fri May 21, 2021 5:53 am

I'm not judging levels, so I can throw a mentionation at Tarnsman's Projectile Hell before literally everyone else on Earth does.
Kinsie
Dog Days

Postby electrodragon554 » Fri May 28, 2021 4:43 pm

I think I'll throw my hat into the ring...

Question: what if the rest to the Doom 2 map designers were to get their hands on something like Ultimate Doom Builder?
Answer: You'd probably get something like: Gardevoir's The Ultimate Doom II : Doom II levels Reimagined

A werewolf & a vampire walk into a tavern, no that's not a "walks into a bar" joke, that's Lycanthron 2 - Rain of Beasts by ZDoomer "scumhead"

I don't have a suggestion for a mod for Cacowards 2021 as it was featured in last year's Cacowards - Corruption Cards
electrodragon554

OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)

Postby Kinsie » Sat May 29, 2021 6:21 am

electrodragon554 wrote:I think I'll throw my hat into the ring...

Question: what if the rest to the Doom 2 map designers were to get their hands on something like Ultimate Doom Builder?
Answer: You'd probably get something like: Gardevoir's The Ultimate Doom II : Doom II levels Reimagined

A werewolf & a vampire walk into a tavern, no that's not a "walks into a bar" joke, that's Lycanthron 2 - Rain of Beasts by ZDoomer "scumhead"

I don't have a suggestion for a mod for Cacowards 2021 as it was featured in last year's Cacowards - Corruption Cards
Good choices, but none of them are within the qualifying period of "after about mid-November 2020". Please read the OP, thanks.
Kinsie
Dog Days

Postby CherubCorps » Sun May 30, 2021 7:07 am

I'm not sure it can be nominated because the original was released a few years back, but Combined arms V2.0 by Combine Kegan. So much work has been done on it, it's pretty much a whole new mod.

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=51066

Download: https://combine-kegan.itch.io/combined-arms
CherubCorps

Discord: CherubCorp#1153
Twitch ID: www.twitch.tv/cherubcorp

Postby Kinsie » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:17 am

Made a minor tweak to the OP to denote that major updates to previously-releases are also up for consideration.
Kinsie
Dog Days

Postby Dynamo » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:06 pm

As I was reminded of the mentionation on discord, I figured I'd bring up Refracted Reality, a series of pretty cool otherworldy GZDoom maps released this year and in development since I believe 2018. 2021 is likely going to be a stacked year due to the massive amount of releases that have been gracefully bestowed upon the community, and we're not even halfway into the year yet! I'm really curious to see how it will end up at the end :)
Dynamo
It's a jungle out there.

Postby Willytor » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:20 pm

It's been mentioned in the dooomworld thread a couple of times, but Snap The Sentinel ( viewtopic.php?f=19&t=70945 ) by Tehrealsalt and her team was really good, i enjoyed the sprite work and the music a lot, and the gameplay is pretty interesting. It also has good use of 3d models, which is not something you see a lot.
(couldn't figure out how to hyperlink text so i just put the link there, apologies)
Willytor

Discord: Willytor#0833
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Xangelxal » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:54 pm

In my case, I would nomimate La Tailor Girl by Hege Cactus.
A pretty fun weapon mod with a lot variety.
It also has 3 playable characters with different attributes.
It feels like a whole new game!

Link to mod: viewtopic.php?t=58343

Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/59106xgjzj2si ... 5.pk3?dl=0
Xangelxal

Postby Peccatum Mihzamiz » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:18 pm

I would like to nominate enemy replacement mod 'Angelic Aviary' (which was called Angelic Waifu until a while ago).
Link to mod: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=69883

The full set of sprites and code is an awesome work of love by user CherubCorps. I've been following the development alllllmost since I started playing Doom II about a year ago, and it's been great to see the set get updates over the past months. Instead of your regular (but of course still cool) replacements of monsters, this set also has the behaviour and abilities of many of the monsters changed, making for a new way of playing my favourite Doom maps. There are multiple monsters that can now fly and somehow it still works as a coherent set, not braking maps. Also some of the monsters got alternate attacks or even second phases to their attacks. I'm curious for the upcoming last updates which have some of the bosses get updated second phases as far as I know.

This is a sprite set that to a person like me, who's not all that familiar with manga and anime, might look like an uninspiring cartoon-inspired project. But I keep being fascinated by it for some reason, and coming back to playing maps with these new enemies. I can whole-heartedly recommend it and urge everybody to give it a try!
Peccatum Mihzamiz

Return to General