Shipping a standalone game with Vulkan or OpenGL?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Re: Shipping a standalone game with Vulkan or OpenGL?

Postby dpJudas » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:00 am

360 hz is of course completely overkill, but 144 hz certainly is not. 144 hz vs 60 hz is like day and night. 144 vs 240 or 360 is visible to me, but only in the sense that it reduces motion blur and input lag. 144hz+ULMB works better I think.
dpJudas

Postby Nash » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:10 am

I was one of the naysayers in the past (I honestly thought anything above 60 FPS was pointless) until one day I was forced to buy a 144hz display to replace my old monitor which started having yellowing issues on the screen.

I was surprised that I can actually see and "feel" the difference. Even just moving the mouse cursor around in the OS looks and feels smoother. And obviously, in games, the extra smoothness can be felt. I was happy to be proven wrong. :mrgreen:
Nash
AKA Nash Muhandes! Twitter/Facebook/Youtube: nashmuhandes

Twitch ID: nashmuhandes
Github ID: nashmuhandes

Postby Graf Zahl » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:09 pm

Makes me wonder how all the Build engines that are locked to a timer that cannot exceed 120 Hz will cope with a display that's faster than their ticker.
In Raze we completely abandoned that timer and the difference was just amazing, even on 60 Hz displays.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby dpJudas » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:52 pm

Let's just say that most people that get used to the smoothness of Raze won't be going back. :)
dpJudas

Previous

Return to General