Keep Jumping/Crouching/Look Disabled For IWADs?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Keep Jumping/Crouching/Look Disabled For IWADs?

Postby RyeFyre » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:28 pm

Forgive me if this is a dumb question (first time posting here), but it's been something bugging me as of late.

I'm trying to figure out how to keep things like jumping, crouching, freelook disabled on the original IWADs and older PWADs, while having them enabled on newer PWADs that have MAPINFO defined as such, all without toggling the settings every so often. I'm running GZDoom 4.5.0.

Currently, I have those options on "default" in my gameplay settings. So when I go into vanilla Doom, all of that stuff is on, and I have to go back into settings and turn them off, then undo the process when I play a newer PWAD that requires those settings enabled.

I can understand why "default" is "on" unless otherwise stated, but it bugs me when I'm trying to enjoy the original games without breaking the maps by accident, or getting stuck on newer maps when I should be able to jump.

I'm also aware that it's hard to tell what maps should have those extra options, as not every author includes such info in their documentation, but I'm hoping someone out there has a solution (or a least a workaround) for this issue.
RyeFyre

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Keep Jumping/Crouching/Look Disabled For IWADs?

Postby Rachael » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:47 pm

I hacked together something for you. Please bear in mind that I *cannot* guarantee this is error-free, but according to my tests it should work.

Any map that introduces its own MAPINFO should override these defaults, so it should be safe to load in your autoload. Note that some maps may be designed to allow jumping but will be overridden by this, due to a lack of their own MAPINFO. (Which is probably part of why this is not mainline)

It overrides Doom and most of its sequels, as well as Heretic, and Chex Quest. It is supposed to do Strife too, but I don't know why it doesn't work, and I am not going to put that much effort into investigating it.

Since Heretic allowed freelook, that is being allowed in this mod.

Hexen is impossible to override in this fashion since it uses its own mapinfo. It and Strife allow jumping anyway.

This could easily be continued by someone else as a gameplay mod, and if anyone is interested in doing so I fully welcome it. Because most of the stuff I pulled into this came directly from GZDoom itself, I have no choice but to license it as GPLv3. Details are in the LICENSE.TXT and CREDIT.TXT files included.

edit: reuploaded it, the original version did not mark Doom 2's episode as optional, so it showed in doom1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)

Postby RyeFyre » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:42 pm

Hey, thanks for the quick reply!

I did some tests on my end and the file works as advertised (I don't have Strife so I can't speak for that), but Ultimate Doom still has the "default" jumping/etc. But that's not an immediate issue for me, as I've been mainly switching between Doom 2 and other D2 mods lately.

Either way, I think this is a great start for resolving this issue. I really feel like there should be a toggle along these lines in GZDoom itself. Thanks again for the help :)
RyeFyre

Postby Rachael » Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:08 am

I had to update it because I did notice that bug, too, too late after posting it. So there's a new version in the same post.
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)

Postby RyeFyre » Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:23 am

Just tested the updated file and Ult Doom works perfectly. Thanks again for getting that fixed. :)
RyeFyre

Postby Warden » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:28 am

You could put
Code: Select allExpand view
dmflags 4521984
in autoexec.cfg to disable jumping/crouching/freelook by default, and for pwads where you want these to be enabled add
Code: Select allExpand view
+set dmflags 0
to their command line shortcut.
Warden

Return to General