What did/does each mainline ZDoom based source port mean?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

What did/does each mainline ZDoom based source port mean?

Postby Xaants » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:46 am

What I mean by this is does GZDoom stand for something, such as something related to OpenGL, Graf Zahl Doom, or LZDoom, Low ZDoom, Legacy ZDoom, or QZDoom, just a thought I've had for a while and wonder what it means, thanks it advanced
Xaants

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Re: What did/does each mainline ZDoom based source port mean

Postby Rachael » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:44 pm

QZDoom has no meaning. It was just a letter that was not occupied by an existing source port already at the time it was created. (Incidentally the name was not new, it appeared in a feature suggestion that suggested here and was denied, though funnily enough it somewhat fulfilled the suggester's goals).

No, I did not name it QZDoom 'because' of that suggestion. As I said, it was a name that had not yet been taken, nothing more. I did see that suggestion when investigating whether I could use that name, and figured since it was merely a suggestion it would be no harm in taking it despite someone having already thought of it several years earlier.
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: What did/does each mainline ZDoom based source port mean

Postby krutomisi » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:51 am

I know its not why they are named that but whenever I see GZDoom and QZDoom I have flashbacks to having to pick between GTK and Qt application builds on Linux haha
krutomisi

Return to General