Will this pc run gzdoom?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Re: Will this pc run gzdoom?

Postby drfrag » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:09 am

Win10 is a bad as any other windows version, it doesn't make much sense to buy a new computer to use an old operating system. It's better to avoid those brand computers and buy a clone with the parts you choose and get the OS separately. That said you cannot even install Win7 on a new computer.
The CPU you proposed was okay a couple of years ago for a low end system. You definitely need a faster processor. And then get at least a 128 GB SSD for the OS and some important apps and a HDD for more storage (a clone desktop it's easier to expand and upgrade and it's cheaper).
8 GB is the bare ram minimum to run Win10 now. My computer has 4 GB and it's extremely slow but it's not only the ram, my nephew has 8 GB and it's also slow (he also has a HDD). With a HDD i have to hibernate as it's too slow for a cold boot, i only restart from time to time. Then i use VS and TortoiseGit and everything takes several minutes, sometimes the computer even freezes for almost a minute. Even the Windows explorer itself is very slow and Defender has become very intrusive and slows down the system to a crawl. It's slow even when there's free ram, everything is bigger now including Windows itself and a HDD is too slow now. I only have a 500 GB HDD, it was okay at first with 1511 U2 but not now. I've also updated the apps not only windows.
Edit: i've just checked and the price for the 256 GB drives is pretty much the same. BUT laptops have doubled its price since the COVID thing.
drfrag
Os voy a romper a pedazos!
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Discord: drfrag#3555
Github ID: drfrag666

Postby nekostuffing » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:28 am

drfrag wrote:Win10 is a bad as any other windows version, it doesn't make much sense to buy a new computer to use an old operating system. It's better to avoid those brand computers and buy a clone with the parts you choose and get the OS separately. That said you cannot even install Win7 on a new computer.
The CPU you proposed was okay a couple of years ago for a low end system. You definitely need a faster processor. And then get at least a 128 GB SSD for the OS and some important apps and a HDD for more storage (a clone desktop it's easier to expand and upgrade and it's cheaper).
8 GB is the bare ram minimum to run Win10 now. My computer has 4 GB and it's extremely slow but it's not only the ram, my nephew has 8 GB and it's also slow (he also has a HDD). With a HDD i have to hibernate as it's too slow for a cold boot, i only restart from time to time. Then i use VS and TortoiseGit and everything takes several minutes, sometimes the computer even freezes for almost a minute. Even the Windows explorer itself is very slow and Defender has become very intrusive and slows down the system to a crawl. It's slow even when there's free ram, everything is bigger now including Windows itself and a HDD is too slow now. I only have a 500 GB HDD, it was okay at first with 1511 U2 but not now. I've also updated the apps not only windows.
Edit: i've just checked and the price for the 256 GB drives is pretty much the same. BUT laptops have doubled its price since the COVID thing.

Well i did find a Ryzen that does go over my buddget, but not by much, ill try to wait a bit more and save up for that one, i hope i can get it, i would still prefer to use Windows 7 it wasnt only my old desktop pc that died it was also my brother's laptop, after upgrading to 10, i dunno man that Windows 10 just seems to be bad news all around, at the very least i would install Windows 8 if nessesary, however ive never used it so it would be a bit unfamiliar i guess, also i think the Ryzen i found is a clone not brand, its called xtreme pc so i guess that qualifies as a clone ?, i belive it has 500w power capasity so i think that means it could be upgraded later on ?, tho im scared to try, if i mess something up i could end up without a pc, and without any money to buy a new one, im sorry for my noobness when it comes to computer knowledge, i do appretiate all the tips.
nekostuffing

Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Postby drfrag » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:57 am

Where is it? Which are the specs? Windows 8.1 is still supported until January 2023 and you don't get those forced feature updates every six months. You can use classic shell to get the classic start menu from Windows 7. It's not a bad option at all the downside is that you don't get DirectX 12 support but do you need it? Most likely you could even still use a HDD, with recent Win10 versions i really mean abysmal performance.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Postby Redneckerz » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:34 am

nekostuffing wrote:Well i did find a Ryzen that does go over my buddget, but not by much, ill try to wait a bit more and save up for that one, i hope i can get it, i would still prefer to use Windows 7 it wasnt only my old desktop pc that died it was also my brother's laptop, after upgrading to 10, i dunno man that Windows 10 just seems to be bad news all around,

There is literally no reason for it - Windows 10 works pretty snazzy in the latest incarnations and is itching that Windows 7 feel again. There is really no reason to avoid W10 these days unless you are going for a retro rig.

nekostuffing wrote:at the very least i would install Windows 8 if nessesary, however ive never used it so it would be a bit unfamiliar i guess, also i think the Ryzen i found is a clone not brand, its called xtreme pc so i guess that qualifies as a clone ?, i belive it has 500w power capasity so i think that means it could be upgraded later on ?, tho im scared to try, if i mess something up i could end up without a pc, and without any money to buy a new one, im sorry for my noobness when it comes to computer knowledge, i do appretiate all the tips.

To answer your questions ranked in numbers:
1: The manufacturer Xtreme PC is selling you a PC with a Ryzen processor. The case might be a clone, but the processor is not.
2: With 500 watts of power, you could install a more recent graphics card later on, provided this is supported by the motherboard.
Redneckerz
To it's ports i may have seen
Spotlight Team

Discord: Redneckerz#8399
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby nekostuffing » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:18 pm

drfrag wrote:Where is it? Which are the specs? Windows 8.1 is still supported until January 2023 and you don't get those forced feature updates every six months. You can use classic shell to get the classic start menu from Windows 7. It's not a bad option at all the downside is that you don't get DirectX 12 support but do you need it? Most likely you could even still use a HDD, with recent Win10 versions i really mean abysmal performance.

Amd Radeon Vega 8 Ryzen 3 Pro 2200G, 8gbRAM, 3.5 GHz, Ssd, 240gb, Rgb, i could send you the web page were i found it, but it is in spanish lol xD
nekostuffing

Postby ramon.dexter » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:08 am

drfrag wrote:my nephew has 8 GB and it's also slow (he also has a HDD).

The main bottleneck for w10 is HDD. You need SSD for it. W10 runs fine with 4gigs of ram, but not on hdd.
ramon.dexter
rudebwoy

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Graf Zahl » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:25 am

HDD was a bottleneck long before Windows 10. An SSD is a must have these days for any computer.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby drfrag » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:38 am

ramon.dexter wrote:W10 runs fine with 4gigs of ram, but not on hdd.

May be for web browsing only but not for development or any advanced task, even somewhat old games require more ram. Also you would trash the SDD. It's so bad with an HDD that when you search for something in the start menu (cortana) the computer freezes for half a minute.
Graf Zahl wrote:HDD was a bottleneck long before Windows 10. An SSD is a must have these days for any computer.

Sure but before with 1511 U2 it was still usable on HDD, it was not too bad actually.
nekostuffing wrote:Amd Radeon Vega 8 Ryzen 3 Pro 2200G, 8gbRAM, 3.5 GHz, Ssd, 240gb, Rgb, i could send you the web page were i found it, but it is in spanish lol xD

If you read my profle you'll see that i'm from spain and dondiego is my avatar, my "signature" is in spanish too. xD
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Postby Darkcrafter » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:20 pm

drfrag wrote:Where is it? Which are the specs? Windows 8.1 is still supported until January 2023 and you don't get those forced feature updates every six months. You can use classic shell to get the classic start menu from Windows 7. It's not a bad option at all the downside is that you don't get DirectX 12 support but do you need it? Most likely you could even still use a HDD, with recent Win10 versions i really mean abysmal performance.

DirectX 12 was ported to Windows 7 if I'm not mistaken. It was a really solid system even without any updates it worked like a charm up to the moment when I needed to install Net Framework 4.5 which GZDoom Builder BugFix required, so I update it over Win 7 x64 SP1 and it worked. Even when I built ryzen system I installed Win 7 at first and only when I confirmed that a lot of software simply don't start because of "0x00007c f off fool error" I installed Windows 10. Sigh. In the version 1909 they finally considered ryzens and so finally SMT doesn't decrease single core performance by 15% - it works like it was initially intended to but then I again ran to some audio stuttters in DAWs and only after 3 UEFI updates in a row the issue became less apparent.

That's about Ryzen 1st gen which was a total disaster and I'm pretty sure AMD had to push this line of processors in rush so they could crawl out of dip sht they were in before. Now they produce Ryzen 4th gen but the series named 5000 which is quite illogical to me but so far these guys finally surpassed intel in regards of single core performance, both stock and overclocked, dramatically enhanced their internal design and in overall surpassed intel in everything. I was really thinking on getting 10600K this summer but decided to wait and turns out I'm doing this right because Ryzen 5 1600 is still enough for me - bang for a buck CPU. There are no equal options for this money but make sure all 1st gen ryzens and this CPU in particular leave an impression of "brown alert" after some usage but this CPU is ok for me because I mainly use it for working not gaming.

Now about heresy I did. I put just 1 stick of 8gb ram clocked at 2400MHz Cl15-15-15-35 with xmp profile engaged. Of course I once got another such stick and the CPU showed twice as much of performance in some artificial AIDA benchmarks but in overall the performance in games, rendering and audio editing didn't raise for a damn. Then I thought it out carefully, if I don't need this ghosty performance increase which I don't see and perceive and took this one back to the store a day before quarantine began :lol:

Oh Yes, SSD made a huge difference for the overall speed. HDD is a bottleneck and its only good side now is that there is a higher probability that lost data can be restored but still HDDs fear of physical impact, "good" for having a collection of such data like music, videos and photos, other than that HDDs must die.
Darkcrafter

Postby nekostuffing » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:24 pm

drfrag wrote:
ramon.dexter wrote:W10 runs fine with 4gigs of ram, but not on hdd.

May be for web browsing only but not for development or any advanced task, even somewhat old games require more ram. Also you would trash the SDD. It's so bad with an HDD that when you search for something in the start menu (cortana) the computer freezes for half a minute.
Graf Zahl wrote:HDD was a bottleneck long before Windows 10. An SSD is a must have these days for any computer.

Sure but before with 1511 U2 it was still usable on HDD, it was not too bad actually.
nekostuffing wrote:Amd Radeon Vega 8 Ryzen 3 Pro 2200G, 8gbRAM, 3.5 GHz, Ssd, 240gb, Rgb, i could send you the web page were i found it, but it is in spanish lol xD

If you read my profle you'll see that i'm from spain and dondiego is my avatar, my "signature" is in spanish too. xD

I didnt see that LOL :lol: , in that case, there is more detailed information in the web page of the vendor. https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/ML ... 7oQAvD_BwE
nekostuffing

Postby drfrag » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:08 am

It's okay and the price converted to euros seems reasonable. It comes without a Windows license but you could get it later or use it without a license.
It's a preconfigured clone, you can also choose the parts in those shops.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Postby nekostuffing » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:22 am

drfrag wrote:It's okay and the price converted to euros seems reasonable. It comes without a Windows license but you could get it later or use it without a license.
It's a preconfigured clone, you can also choose the parts in those shops.

Sounds good! too bad they dont mention the motherboard, but thanks alot for the advice!, to you and everyone that replied here :D
nekostuffing

Postby Rachael » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:11 am

drfrag wrote:It comes without a Windows license but you could get it later or use it without a license.

We do not condone software piracy here, and that applies to Windows as well.

That being said, there are places where you can get the professional key for like $5 USD. (Fully legitimate) - not all markets support Microsoft's bloated pricing practices and those that don't often flip keys because of the insane prices that Microsoft charges in the Western world. You just have to know where to look.
Rachael
Admin

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc) 64-bit

Postby drfrag » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:10 am

How he gets the license is not my problem. You can actually use Win10 without activating it, there are a few limitations but they are not too serious i think.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Postby ZEyRoxDEstroyer666 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:56 pm

I do not see anything wrong with your computer apparently it could run gzdoom
ZEyRoxDEstroyer666

Discord: ZeYroxDestroy666#7622
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

PreviousNext

Return to General