Need a programmer for gzdoom edit (no need anymore)

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Need a programmer for gzdoom edit (no need anymore)

Postby Manhs » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:09 am

Hello, i have the project to work on a new game IP via GZDOOM like the game "Hedon", I'm 36 and have a budget of 850$ per month for it, i tried to check on some 3D engine but it's too much for me so i wanted try something with gzdoom who allow a lot of fun stuff.

I have some friends who are mappers, a textures (sprites) artists i could pay, a musician can work for me too.
I can make contracts or just via simple commissions.

If you are interested, pm, i have an email too, i can give more details.
I have a Game Design Document i worked for hours on it but things can be still modified with testing stuff (i asked some advices to some devs about it).
Sorry for my english, i'm french
(about me and gzdoom, i only made a few maps with it and make a balance patch for a mod in the past, nothing big).

I need a programmer who know how to make his own stuff with gzdoom (like Zan with Hedon), i can pay for it, for the weapons, special physics and other stuff.
Last edited by Manhs on Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Manhs

Re: Need a programmer for gzdoom to make a commercial game (

Postby wildweasel » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:21 am

Have you got anything else of your project to show off, to potentially attract said programmer? Do you have graphics or maps you can show? Words alone might not get you what you're after.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Manhs » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:56 am

I have a Game Design document and references pictures taken on some websites for the project. i worked for hours on it.
Reference pictures for monsters, weapons, atmosphere, houses style ect... to use it as an inspiration and show what kind of atmosphere ans design is needed.
GDD is with the concept of the game (not just straight maps, a gimmick), mapping system, monsters, hp, lore ect...)
I made some document about the mapping how things have to be decorated for the atmosphere and how key/items/stuff have to be placed in the maps.
It can be modified if i find some better change with a team.
But no maps already made, im not really a good mapper and i'm not a programmer or artist...

Not sure if it's enough then to attract a programmer, i could share the GDD is someone "can be" interested.
Manhs

Postby wildweasel » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:43 am

Manhs wrote:But no maps already made, im not really a good mapper and i'm not a programmer or artist...

As much as I'm sure you're really passionate about getting this game made, I feel like you'd probably stand a better chance of getting it made if you were to put some time into learning how to do one of those things, even just to the level of doing raw alpha-quality assets for them. The kind of small teams that can get things made in the Doom engine don't tend to have a guy at the top that only writes design documents; that guy tends to have some other skill to keep contributing to the project after the initial drafting stages.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Kappes Buur » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:40 am

I see nothing wrong with his approach. It seems to me that he is following with how the commercial sector works. He's got some idea how the end product should look like and hires people who know how to bring the idea to fruition. And in the process he may even learn a thing or two.

Just one word of advice for those who want to tackle this:
Have a contract made up before jumping in with both feet to protect both parties.
Kappes Buur

Postby Manhs » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:53 pm

Yeah, i saved money for years and i have no project since years, its for the fun to have an activity about making a videogame, i could map but my skill is not big, i could try to improve it maybe I made 2 maps for XUMP for Hexen and 3 maps in a mini pack for Heretic https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... -released/ , but again, im not a great mapper like people of doomworld and co.
Yeah since it's for commercial purpose, i can't share too much informations and yeah i know for contract, already made one before.
And yes, it could be fun because i could learn some stuff with this kind of project! (Budgetman/Publisher with some ideas can be a good role too : p, i could map but i think it's not gonna help...
Manhs

Postby Graf Zahl » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:32 am

Kappes Buur wrote:Have a contract made up before jumping in with both feet to protect both parties.

Emphasis on this.
I have been in a situation where I did a freelance project but in the middle of it the client jumped ship and I never received any payment - I also experienced that when my employer hired freelance workers for small things, it was very likely that those without a contract never delivered their work. So these days I won't do anything without a contract, especially when the project may be longer running.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby Manhs » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:57 pm

Indeed, i can make contracts and even pay in advance :)

edit: i don't need programmer, it's ok now
Manhs

Return to General