Automap colors seem washed.

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Automap colors seem washed.

Postby Phyllis Fimmlewut » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:00 am

So, I took a pretty long break from Doom. Last ZDoom I used was 2.7.1. I just upgraded to GZDoom 4.5.0 (love it so far, especially the built-in option to disable translucency), went on setting everything up the way I liked (controls, compatibility options etc.) and got everything the way I wanted.

One thing I couldn't get though - the Automap colors look very bland and washed. I went with the vanilla Doom colors/preset. The colors are correct, but they lack the contrast that was in the original or even in Zdoom I used previously (see screenshots). Any way to fix this?

Also one more thing. This option:
Use Fake Contrast - I honestly have no idea which option I should choose. The goal is to look the same as the original Doom. I assume off is the way to go? Can't tell for sure though. Can somebody confirm?
Phyllis Fimmlewut

Re: Automap colors seem washed.

Postby Gez » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:40 am

Phyllis Fimmlewut wrote:Also one more thing. This option:
Use Fake Contrast - I honestly have no idea which option I should choose. The goal is to look the same as the original Doom. I assume off is the way to go? Can't tell for sure though. Can somebody confirm?

You could look up the wikis:
https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Fake_contrast
https://zdoom.org/wiki/Fake_contrast

For vanilla purism, you'll want it on, except for Hexen where it should be off. But definitely on for Doom! Compare those screenshots of E2M2 with and without fake contrast on the Doom wiki...
Gez

Re: Automap colors seem washed.

Postby NeuralStunner » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:51 pm

Full fake contrast was a constant annoyance when I started mapping. Give a wall even a single degree of angle of-grid and the clash is apparent. Smooth contrast is one of our greatest gifts.
NeuralStunner
not actually a catgirl

Discord: NeuralStunner#1293
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Return to General