Multi-patch textures and memory footprint Question

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Multi-patch textures and memory footprint Question

Postby Enjay » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:11 pm

I know that multi-patch textures can be used to reduce file size by using the same patches for several different textures, but what I don't know is what impact this has on memory used by the game.

i.e. would there be any difference in runtime memory use if I had 100 unique 128x128 single-patch textures in a map versus 100 textures made using a single 128x128 patch as a background and 100 different 32x32 panels overlaid on it via the textures lump?
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Re: Multi-patch textures and memory footprint Question

Postby wildweasel » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:26 pm

As I understand it, the texture compositor effectively creates the textures in video memory as distinct graphics, at the specified dimensions - you wouldn't be saving any VRAM at all, regardless of disk savings. This became a large problem for mods like Guncaster, as even though there were only a small handful of distinct graphics for the guns, the gun animations were still being thrown into VRAM as full size, 320x200 images for each frame.

If you wanted to save VRAM, perhaps finding a way to animate the 32x32 panels as decals or something to that effect might help more.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Re: Multi-patch textures and memory footprint Question

Postby Enjay » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:51 pm

I suspected that's probably what it was doing. This was mostly a want-to-know rather than a need-to-know question. I haven't run into any problems with memory or anything. Thanks for the answer.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Return to General