Invisible secret lines - make appear?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Invisible secret lines - make appear?

Postby Enjay » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:18 pm

I'm not really sure which forum is best for this (kind of depends on the answer I suppose), so General seems as good as any.

You know how once you have found a secret in GZDoom the lines of the secret sector show up in a bright magenta colour (I think that's the default) if you have the option to show secrets enabled? I quite like setting some secrets so that the lines are invisible so that they won't be given away by the computer map powerup. However, this also means that they don't show up once they have been found. Is there any way to set lines to not show on the automap but to appear if they are part of a secret sector and the secret has been found?
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Re: Invisible secret lines - make appear?

Postby NeuralStunner » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:01 pm

I don't think there's a good way to do this. The only method I know of to conceal lines without flagging them is to have another sector on the back side with the same floor/ceiling heights. (You can give them a front texture and set "block everything" to simulate a 1-sided line.) I'm not sure if those would show in the secret color afterward, though.

There's the automapstyle property for UDMF, I belive one of them lets you expressly set secret walls. Maybe a new function to modify that at runtime (Line_SetAutomapStyle?) would be a good idea.
NeuralStunner
not actually a catgirl

Discord: NeuralStunner#1293
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit

Postby Graf Zahl » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:05 am

If you want to change their properties you'll have to add some code that does that, either in ACS use the aforementioned Line_SetAutomapStyle function or by using some ZScript. Of course you'll have to do a bit of magic to properly set up the trigger.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby Enjay » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:22 am

I thought that there might be some way to set up a map to do it with scripting, so that's useful info. I was hoping for a universal solution for older maps too. I understand why that's not doable though. Thanks.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Return to General