Any really high quality TCs you'd recommend playing?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Any really high quality TCs you'd recommend playing?

Postby Ariasio » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:55 am

Hi, everyone! I'm in a mood for a retro FPS again, but I honestly don't know what to play. All the essential and non-essential boomer shooters, both old and new, are already crossed off from my list, and I don't feel like replaying any of them yet, so I figured I'd look around what mods have to offer.

Given how (G)ZDoom's evolved over the years and what it allows people to create, I'd be surprised if there aren't any really noteworthy TCs around. However, here lies the problem - I haven't really been around in the Doom modding scene since almost a decade ago (with some really brief activity around here a year ago), so I legit don't know what's been happening over all that time, what "big" mods have been released etc. etc. and right now there's simply too much of it to go through it all alone and find out which ones are worth playing the hard way. That's why I'd like to ask people who have been way more active over those years than me and who have seen and played through a lot more WADs than I probably ever will - you, dear community.

Which (fully released of course) TCs would you recommend I should check out if I'm looking for what basically amounts to an entirely new game running on the (G)ZDoom engine? The absolute cream of the crop experience with the level of polish you'd expect from a commercial indie title, and can't believe it's actually just a Doom mod cause it's so unrecognizable from the granddaddy of FPS games?

Thanks in advance for your time and the recommendations. I know it's probably a tall order and there might not be much to offer, but every little bit helps.
Ariasio

Re: Any really high quality TCs you'd recommend playing?

Postby Gez » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:50 pm

Also I'll point out that there are a couple of GZDoom TCs that actually are commercial indie titles. There's The Forestale which really strays far from what you'd expect of a Doom TC given how the game mechanics are turned into sidescrolling platformer; and Hedon which is a bit more classical.

Finally, some unfinished WIPs well worth keeping an eye on:

And for total or partial conversions more generally, take a look at Impie's stuff in general. They've got a lot of creativity and variety.
Gez

Re: Any really high quality TCs you'd recommend playing?

Postby Ariasio » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:33 pm

All of these look really promising. Ashes 2063 especially seems right up my alley. Thanks a lot, Gez. Your post was really helpful.
Ariasio

Return to General