Doom 64?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Doom 64?

Postby 0nyx » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:52 am

New to the forums here, but I've been using GZdoom for a couple years now. Almost needless to say, I love it.

I was wondering whether there is a way to play Doom 64 through GZdoom? I have the Nightdive version that was released earlier this year, just interested because I think GZdoom would be a major improvement over base version, and whether that could open up some modding potential as well.

If it's not currently possible to play through GZdoom, I'd like to know whether there is any interest in making it so, because to me it seems like it'd be a good opportunity to screw around and maybe (just for once) have something to show for it. I don't know how much work such an undertaking would be, and Doom 64 doesn't seem to get much attention even if Eternal might have brought it to light again.

Solutions, advice, thoughts?
0nyx

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Doom 64?

Postby wildweasel » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:01 am

You can't play Doom 64 directly in GZDoom; there are, however, fan-made recreations like Doom 64 Retribution that aim for "as close as you can get" without having direct support for the original data.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby 0nyx » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:36 am

Okay, no surprise. I hadn't considered Retribution, Absolution TC, EX, etc. but I thought maybe there was something that could be done with the original data to supersede those. I suppose that would be more like creating an entirely new engine / source port just for 64. And to re-iterate my earlier concern, I don't know how many others would be interested in such a thing, but it could be good experience for me.
0nyx

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Kinsie » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:58 am

Doom 64 makes a number of changes to the original Doom engine and level format to support more intricate colour schemes and a basic level scripting language called Macros. Pretty much all of these features already have equivalents in GZDoom, but the Doom 64 map format is not currently implemented. Doing so is not impossible, it's just that, well, nobody's done it yet.
Kinsie
Dog Days

Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Postby Xim » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:53 pm

I'm definitely interested in seeing the pc version of Doom 64 running on GZDoom. For some reason I could not get into any of the unofficial ones, maybe it was just Brutal 64 that ruined it for me. But I blasted through the official PC port once it came out. So yeah, I wouldn't mind making and playing some GZDoom mods.

I remember seeing a couple feature requests for running Doom 64 and I believe they said it could be possible once the official PC version was done. But yeah as Kinsie said nobody's done it yet. I doubt it would be easy to do and they're doing it all for free, so I'm going to try and not be pushy about it. You can at least do some minor tweak edits for Doom 64 with the PC port right now anyways, and SLADE can open and edit wads for Doom64 and you can run them through ZDL or even Steam.

EDIT: Here's a link showing how to run Doom 64 mods if anyone's interested.
Xim

Return to General