Using .wad for a commercial project

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Using .wad for a commercial project

Postby Nash » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:54 pm

Someone directed this question to me and I don't have an answer - they asked can their game be distributed in .wad format instead of .pk3. Is there any relevance what file format the base game data resides in?
Nash

Github ID: nashmuhandes

Re: Using .wad for a commercial project

Postby Rachael » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:21 pm

I do not think it should pose any problem. .wad has been used in an Apogee game (before they were 3D Realms) and id Software didn't exactly go after them.

There isn't exactly a patent protecting the format, and the code used to manipulate and read it has been released to the GPL for many years now. I think that person should be just fine.
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby InsanityBringer » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:14 pm

the Apogee game (ROTT) did have some sort of agreement with id software, as mentioned in a document included with the source, and a fair amount of doom-era code appears in the rott source (the zone memory manager, wad code, and some snippets of alpha-era code and the doom utilities, among some other things). I think a more apt example would be Amulets and Armor, which used the WAD file format as well as the doom map format (assumed to be so they could use doom editors rather than having to develop a new editor specifically for the game.)
InsanityBringer

Discord: InsanityBringer#9908

Postby Nash » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:16 pm

I figured it wouldn't be a problem, because, for example - even in .pk3 projects, the map files are still stored inside .wad files so there's kinda no way to avoid using .wad files completely, heh.
Nash

Github ID: nashmuhandes

Postby Gez » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:05 am

InsanityBringer wrote:the Apogee game (ROTT) did have some sort of agreement with id software, as mentioned in a document included with the source, and a fair amount of doom-era code appears in the rott source (the zone memory manager, wad code, and some snippets of alpha-era code and the doom utilities, among some other things). I think a more apt example would be Amulets and Armor, which used the WAD file format as well as the doom map format (assumed to be so they could use doom editors rather than having to develop a new editor specifically for the game.)

Also Birthright: The Gorgon's Alliance.
Gez

Postby Graf Zahl » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:41 am

You cannot copyright a file format - only the specification or the implementation for it. And the WAD specs are so primitive that it was possible to write a Doom editor back in 1994 without having any documentation.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby InsanityBringer » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:15 am

Heh, I didn't know about Birthright. If we're adding obscure examples, I remember in recent years someone on twitter was doing analysis of a printer's firmware updater, which used WAD files to deliver files. (I'd love to use a link but I have no idea how to effectively search twitter...)
InsanityBringer

Postby Blzut3 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:54 pm

Two second search on twitter came up with this thing regarding a camera? Although the WAD format is trivial it is interesting that they would use it (there are other simple archive formats which would have more readily available tooling), but honestly the more interesting thing to me is that it use a compression bit stream that matched the Catacomb Armageddon source code. But I'm guessing that LZW bit stream comes from some other compression tool, so probably a coincidence.
Blzut3
Pronounced: B-l-zut

Github ID: Blzut3
Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Kali, Mint, etc) 64-bit
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby InsanityBringer » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:47 pm

ah, yeah, the camera is familiar, I misremembered and thought it was a printer or a scanner. I also completely forgot about the Catacomb 3D LZW implementation working perfectly, which is surprising but probably a coincidence as mentioned.
InsanityBringer

Return to General