Gameplay settings are not persistent

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Gameplay settings are not persistent

Postby Kzer-Za » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:46 am

Is it supposed to be that GZDoom does not remember settings in the "Gameplay options" section? I have to change these settings each time I start a new game: "Allow autoaim", "Allow jump", and "Allow crouch". I set them all to off, but they are remembered only within one game, and each time I start a new one I have to change them from their default values again.

All other sections of options (out of those that I tried changing) are remembered (Display, Controls, etc), but not Gameplay options. Is it supposed to behave this way?
Kzer-Za

Re: Gameplay settings are not persistent

Postby Rachael » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:03 pm

Kzer-Za wrote:All other sections of options (out of those that I tried changing) are remembered (Display, Controls, etc), but not Gameplay options. Is it supposed to behave this way?

Yes, certain CVARs are flagged for config saving and certain ones are not.

The particular options you are asking about are covered in the "dmflags" and "dmflags2" CVARs - open the console and type each word (without quotes) respectively and note their exact numerical value.

Then create a new text file called "autoexec.cfg" in GZDoom's folder, open it, and type the following:
Code: Select allExpand view
dmflags <#>
dmflags2 <#>

Where <#> is the number you discovered earlier in the console for each of these 2 settings. (don't put the <>'s - just type out, for example, "dmflags2 3073" (for example, obviously without quotes)). Save the file. You will likely have to go into explorer settings and enable file extensions to ensure that Windows didn't stick a .txt extension onto it - if it did you'll have to remove it.
https://www.howtogeek.com/205086/beginn ... xtensions/

If you did this correctly, then now when you start GZDoom your gameplay settings should automatically change to the values you placed in autoexec.cfg and you should not have to change it anymore.
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Gameplay settings are not persistent

Postby Kzer-Za » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:43 pm

Thanks!
Kzer-Za

Return to General