Slow motion Doom

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Slow motion Doom

Postby MatrixCL » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:37 am

I've made a slow motion version of GZDoom. Changing the TICRATE variable (from 35 to 15 in this case) already does 90% of the job. But there were a few things I had to change after that: gravity, the timing of doors closing, and the timing and speed of raising/lowering floors were not affected by the tick rate. And revenants' missiles behaved differently. The only thing that I haven't been able to find in the code is the duration of invulnerability, partial invisibility, and radiation suits and such. Could anyone help me out there? :shucks:

It's very fun form of cheating, to be honest. :D Especially to then play the demo at normal speed. I kinda did it out of frustration of not being able to finish the first episode of Valiant by taking the fastest route without dying. (I'll get it done some day. 8-))

Here's a little trick I did by cutting/pasting demo's of the same run at two different speeds:

If anyone else is interested at playing at 3/7th (29%) the normal speed, I'd be happy to cook a release of this. :) Right now it's still in the code and you'd have to compile it yourself.
MatrixCL

Discord: Matrix#1375
Github ID: MaartenCL
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Slow motion Doom

Postby Rachael » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:43 am

Have you tried typing "i_timescale 0.5" in the console?

That being said powerup durations are in the actor definitions themselves, which are inside the wadsrc folder under static/zscript
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby MatrixCL » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:53 am

Thank you x2, Rachael! :)

And no, I have not tried that. Searching for "i_timescale" in the ZDoom wiki doesn't show any results though. Is there a list somewhere that contains all these variables?

Something tells me I did this effort for naught. :p But I'll check it out the difference when I'm back home.
MatrixCL

Postby Rachael » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:07 am

MatrixCL wrote:Thank you x2, Rachael! :)

And no, I have not tried that. Searching for "i_timescale" in the ZDoom wiki doesn't show any results though. Is there a list somewhere that contains all these variables?

Something tells me I did this effort for naught. :p But I'll check it out the difference when I'm back home.

No, it was left undocumented because it is a debug variable. Seeing as how it is proving useful way beyond that though, it's probably safe to let that one be documented.

The code that runs that CVAR is basically just hacked in.

As for console commands in general - most can be found here: https://zdoom.org/wiki/CCMDs
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Redneckerz » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:38 am

I mean - Its neat. If its user toggable, its also a nice mechanic, aswell. But projectile weapons could also be affected by it.

If its an existing feature in GZ but undocumented - Then your work can make it documented.
If its a new, unusual feature (with toggle) - A build could be interesting :)
Redneckerz
To it's ports i may have seen
Spotlight Team

Discord: Redneckerz#8399
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Postby MatrixCL » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:53 am

Naah, i_timescale made this work entirely redundant. It's even better, because you can choose how much slower (or faster) you want to play. The only downside is that it cannot be set at startup. ("i_timescale 0.5" in autoexec.cfg doesn't work)

But documentation would be nice. I'm probably not the only one who'd like to mess around with that.

It's really funny to use! :D You can pull tricks that are otherwise humanly impossible, and it's fun to see the replay at normal speed and then watch some god blasting his way through the levels. :biggrin:
MatrixCL

Return to General