Chex Quest Leftover Levels

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Dolphinboy86

Chex Quest Leftover Levels

Post by Dolphinboy86 »

I heard that the 1996 Doom-conversion Chex Quest contain all the Doom levels that were not converted, and can be accessed by level warping. Some time ago I decided to give them a try, and nanaged to play them with GzDoom, but I had a few issues. There was no music (yet I heard that the music should return to the original), some game mechanics didn't work (for example, in E1M8 the walls didn't descend after the defeat of the bosses), and the levels could only be accessed one-by-one, because I couldn't go to the next level after completing one, yet the first five levels of Episode 2-4 should supposedly be played along like in normal Doom. There also should be some ending text at the end of E2M5, E3M5 and E4M5 (like at the ends of the episodes in the original game) but there was nothing like this, except the picture of the Chex warrior. They didn't even appear when I tried to load the chex.wad with Doom.

So my question is: what is the most ideal way to play the leftovers levels in Chex Quest (other than warping in GzDoom or loading it with the Doom wad)? If people could play with them even at the end of the 90's, then there must be one.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Chex Quest Leftover Levels

Post by wildweasel »

The old-school way would be to run Doom.exe within DOSBox, with -file chex.wad. That bypasses the chex.exe behavior where the game skips the episode selection and ends the game at e1m5.
Dolphinboy86

Post by Dolphinboy86 »

Yeah, I tried it and and worked very well. Just the case is that I read on Wikipedia that if we play Episode 2-4, the game ends at the end of Map5 of those with ending texts like "You have done it!", "Wonderful Job!" and "Fantastic!". This is because I asked, if there was any special way to play the leftover levels that way.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Dolphinboy86 wrote:Yeah, I tried it and and worked very well. Just the case is that I read on Wikipedia that if we play Episode 2-4, the game ends at the end of Map5 of those with ending texts like "You have done it!", "Wonderful Job!" and "Fantastic!". This is because I asked, if there was any special way to play the leftover levels that way.
If you are playing with chex.exe, yes. This doesn't happen if you're using doom.exe.
Dolphinboy86

Post by Dolphinboy86 »

And how can I get go the leftover levels if I use chex.exe? Just because I tried the chex cheatcodes, but they only let me to the five ordinary levels of Chex Quest, if I wrote any other level number (E1M6, E2M1 etc.) it always warped me to E1M5. And it didn't even react to the original Doom cheatcodes, so this is because I opened this topic after all.

Return to “General”