GZDoom 4.4.2 has screwed my game to pieces

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

GZDoom 4.4.2 has screwed my game to pieces

Postby Hidden Hands » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:22 pm

My game works like a dream on GZDoom 3.3.0, but since I just upgraded to the latest 4.4.2 I'm finding problems all over the place.

Firstly, the only way it will boot up at all is if I use SOFTPOLY output. That's fine, so I've gone with that.

Next problem is the renderer. I've chose truecolor, as its the closest to what I had on the previous version I was using. DOOM Renderer removes all colour from my levels and makes the sky looks like a patchy mess, but even truecolor SOFTPOLY has a ton of problems. For one thing, all the black writing on my hanging flags has become transparent, which look horendous. You can see through it to the brickwork behind and its horrible. It doesn't do this in Hardware Acccelerated, but I'll get to why I can't use that either in a minute.

Also, both truecolor softpoly AND Doom Software renderer cause ONE FLAG TEXTURE to chop in half and hang wrong. All the others that are done exactly the same way are fine, but this one looks terrible. Why is this happening? This is only visible in gameplay. In GZDoom Builder its fine, how it should be.

Now Hardware Accelerated. This is the one I would have chosen to use above all else. It doesn't have ANY of the previous problems mentioned, plus the full 3d is a nice touch that makes the bigger levels look far more impressive. But this makes my framerate drop so bad it's akin to playing DOOM on the Sega Saturn. IE; Unplayable. Each movement takes a thousand years to react and so obviously my equippment just cant handle that.

I have attached screenshots in the hope someone can help me fix this. Please help, otherwise I'll have to go back to 3.3.0 since at least that didn't give me even half of these problems, but in turn I will have to sacrifice the upgraded features which I really wanted to include in my game. Please help. For the love of Doomguy help.

EDIT:
Another error has made itself known. All my VOXELS completely vanish unelss I use Hardware Accelerated which I cannot use. HELP PLEASE. This is horrible. If this can't be fixed I'm returning to 3.3.0 no doubt.

EDIT: I've given up on 4.4.2. I know I'm going to lose out on some amazing features, but it's got way to many problems on my game. The stuff above is only the errors I've noticed. There's probably a ton more. I'm sticking with 3.3.0 and if another update comes out I'll take another look. But I won't keep my hopes up.

If however anyone does find a solution, please let me know here and I'll take a look... but as it stands, this just isn't for me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hidden Hands
Deadite

Re: GZDoom 4.4.2 has screwed my game to pieces

Postby drfrag » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:07 pm

LZDoom is based on 3.3.2 and has most of the later stuff.
drfrag
Os voy a romper a pedazos!
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Discord: drfrag#3555
Github ID: drfrag666

Postby Rachael » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:24 pm

Also if using SoftPoly you can try "vid_scalemode 1" to see if it helps with your frame rate. It's risky but you can try "vid_scalefactor 2" on top of that to double the resolution, but if that lags too much set "vid_scalefactor 1" again to go back to lower resolution.
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Nash » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:38 pm

What are you full computer specs? OS, processor, RAM, and graphics card. Hardware rendering is supposed to give superior performance if your hardware and drivers are up to snuff.
Nash

Github ID: nashmuhandes

Postby Hidden Hands » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:33 pm

I'm not actually sure how to check my specs, but I know my computer definitely isn't up to using the Hardware Renderer. This is a terrible shame, because I have to say that it seems to fix every other problem I was having on 4.4.2, with the exception of the lag itself. I do need new equipment, have done for a couple of years but last year I tried to upgrade, got a good computer with "supposedly" all the right stuff, and it blew up when I booted GZDoom Builder. That's my punishment for buying second hand stuff.

I will try some of those methods Rachel, see if I have any luck and also check out LZDoom, but so far,only GZDOOM 3.3.0 has been working like a dream for me.Strangely, even earlier GZDooms fail on my hardware. I dunno. Lucky 3?
Hidden Hands
Deadite

Postby Rachael » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:49 pm

LZDoom might work best, to be honest.
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle

Postby Graf Zahl » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:48 am

Also, both truecolor softpoly AND Doom Software renderer cause ONE FLAG TEXTURE to chop in half and hang wrong. All the others that are done exactly the same way are fine, but this one looks terrible. Why is this happening? This is only visible in gameplay. In GZDoom Builder its fine, how it should be.

We cannot help you if you do not let us. Please create a small, isolated test case that presents this with as little baggage as possible and post a bug report.
There have been some changes in the texture system and some bugs may still linger.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby SanyaWaffles » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:13 am

What I'd suggest is make a map with DOOM2.WAD assets and your texture and upload it for Graf to troubleshoot with. Screenshots alone cannot be debugged,
SanyaWaffles
Wouldn't be an epic gamer if I didn't commit a few war crimes.

Discord: SanyaWaffles#5095
Twitch ID: sanyawaffles

Postby Hidden Hands » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:23 pm

Ok I'll set this up and share asap. Sorry I took so long to respond I'll get it to you asap.
Hidden Hands
Deadite

Postby Nash » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:58 am

Hidden Hands wrote:I'm not actually sure how to check my specs

Which version of Windows are you using?
Nash

Github ID: nashmuhandes

Postby Hidden Hands » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:26 pm

Nash wrote:
Hidden Hands wrote:I'm not actually sure how to check my specs

Which version of Windows are you using?

Windows 7 . My windows 10 laptop cannot handle Doom Builder.
Hidden Hands
Deadite

Return to General