Are .ini interchangeable?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Are .ini interchangeable?

Postby I'mSorry » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:47 pm

Say you have like 3 versions of LZDoom:
LZDoom 3.83
LZDoom 3.84
LZDoom 3.85

and lets say I want to use the .ini of 3.83 for 3.84 and 3.85, would that be possible? and if I do use the .ini for 3.83 on 3.85, can I go back to using the same .ini in 3.83? Would the new things that 3.85 writes to the .ini be over looked by previous version?
Hope I wasn't confusing haha

Thank you <3
I'mSorry
Be nice and respectful to the devs, they work their butts off so you can play <3

Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Are .ini interchangeable?

Postby Graf Zahl » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:41 am

Normally, yes.
But sometimes it happens that the config between two versions changes and the engine adds a migration handler. Once that runs it may happen that the config produces unwanted behavior with the old version. But that's rare and only affects isolated settings. AFAIK LZDoom never had an update changing things here.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby drfrag » Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:54 am

But why would you want to use those old versions? Being the legacy engine you'd only get more bugs and less features, better get 3.86a.
drfrag
Os voy a romper a pedazos!
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Discord: drfrag#3555
Github ID: drfrag666

Postby I'mSorry » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:54 pm

Graf Zahl wrote:Normally, yes.
But sometimes it happens that the config between two versions changes and the engine adds a migration handler. Once that runs it may happen that the config produces unwanted behavior with the old version. But that's rare and only affects isolated settings. AFAIK LZDoom never had an update changing things here.

Thank you Zahl, I'll keep this in mind, I'm sure it won't cause me much issues for what I want to do if this is the case! <3
I'mSorry
Be nice and respectful to the devs, they work their butts off so you can play <3

Postby I'mSorry » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:14 pm

drfrag wrote:But why would you want to use those old versions? Being the legacy engine you'd only get more bugs and less features, better get 3.86a.

To answer your question frag, some modes run better for me on older versions, and some mods run better on newer versions.

Just to give more context for the reason why I needed to know if the .ini were interchangeable was because I made a "launcher" that loads .ini files depending on the mod/TC you wanted to play, and since I have multiple versions of LZDoom I had to create .ini files for each version of LZDoom I had. But with the thing that Zahl told me, I'm sure I can just get rid of the other .ini and just use one version for all, if anything does go wrong I can just remake the bad ini. This would allow me to add a new mods .ini file in more easily too, since I would have to just make one .ini as opposed to the 3 that I would have to make individually :)
I'mSorry

Return to General