Suggestions for playing multiplayer doom on Rasperry Pi

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Re: Suggestions for playing multiplayer doom on Rasperry Pi

Postby bfready » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:27 am

I just realized you were probably asking DRFRAG if there are v4.24 FMOD libraries that would work on the Rpi, not asking me where they are located in the filesystem.. LOL. Sorry, Rachael.
bfready

Postby bfready » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:52 am

It appears the highest FMOD.com has is 2.1.. I'll keep looking around and see if I can find 4.24.
bfready

Postby drfrag » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:03 am

May be she was just wondering. I've found this repo, no idea if it supported ARM. I don't know the min/max versions supported in Zandro either, it's based on a very old ZDoom.
https://github.com/alexey-lysiuk/fmodex ... aster/4.24
drfrag
Os voy a romper a pedazos!
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Discord: drfrag#3555
Github ID: drfrag666

Postby Rachael » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:28 am

From what I can tell it doesn't.
Rachael
Admin

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby DoomerNL » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:45 am

Since we talking pi and source ports i just have a quick question since im about to get one of those pi's
Whats the best source port for doom on the pi? that has the best performance? im just looking for best performance which one is it? zdoom maybe?
sorry dont mean to highjack but thats the only question i have
DoomerNL

Postby bfready » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:02 pm

Hi, DoomerNL.

im just looking for best performance which one is it? zdoom maybe

I've personally only used GZDoom, LZDoom and Zandronum (other than the original Doom in DOS, of course).
If you are using it just to play vanilla doom, I don't think performance would be too different between the source ports (which can run on Rpi atleast).

I personally use GZDoom and LZDoom. You can use the latest version of LZDoom, but in order to use opengl, 3.8 (IIRC is the highest you can go and use opengl on an RPi due to the version of opengl changing).
The frame-rate definately drops when you are not using opengl, so keep that in mind.

LZ and GZDoom allow you to run a lot of different mods. This and the fact that there are so many graphical and gameplay options you can use.
Doom 2 iwad w/ no mods on GZDOOM? MAYBE it would slow down a bit on the last map (MAP30?).. But for the most part it plays it fine.
A lot of mods will run just fine as well. Easily above 30fps. It's just when there are tons of monsters, the Raspberry Pi starts choking.

I used to have a surface 3 tablet with an Intel Atom Z8700 processor and 4gb. It was pretty slow for a Windows computer, but I used to play Doom on that a lot.
It ran Doom just fine. I would say playing on the Raspberry Pi (Rpi 4 w/ 4gb) in on par with that when it comes to Doom performance.
Last edited by bfready on Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bfready

Postby bfready » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:11 pm

Rachael wrote:For the Pi2/3/4 - you should (with most commits anyway) be able to compile it perfectly without changes (but you should do cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release).
Once compiled, this will get GZDoom running:
./gzdoom +vid_preferbackend 2 +vid_rendermode 0 +vid_scalemode 1

Hi again, Rachael. I did try running GZDoom 4.3 with SW, rather than openGL... But, it still complained about not having openGL 3.3. Do you see anything obvious that would have it error for opengl (despite me using the commandline parameters you gave me?)

Code: Select allExpand view
pi@raspberrypi:~/gzdoom43/gzdoom-g4.3.3 $./gzdoom +vid_preferbackend 2 +vid_rendermode 0 +vid_scalemode 1
GZDoom <unknown version> -  - SDL version
Compiled on Apr 12 2020

M_LoadDefaults: Load system defaults.
W_Init: Init WADfiles.
 adding /home/pi/gzdoom43/gzdoom-g4.3.3/gzdoom.pk3, 612 lumps
 adding /home/pi/gzdoom43/gzdoom-g4.3.3/game_support.pk3, 2523 lumps
 adding ./DOOM2.WAD, 2919 lumps
I_Init: Setting up machine state.
V_Init: allocate screen.
S_Init: Setting up sound.
I_InitSound: Initializing OpenAL
  Opened device Built-in Audio Analog Mono
  EFX enabled
ST_Init: Init startup screen.
Checking cmd-line parameters...
S_InitData: Load sound definitions.
G_ParseMapInfo: Load map definitions.
Texman.Init: Init texture manager.
ParseTeamInfo: Load team definitions.
LoadActors: Load actor definitions.
script parsing took 473.11 ms
R_Init: Init Doom refresh subsystem.
DecalLibrary: Load decals.
M_Init: Init menus.
P_Init: Init Playloop state.
ParseSBarInfo: Loading custom status bar definition.
D_CheckNetGame: Checking network game status.
player 1 of 1 (1 nodes)
Using video driver x11
Mesa: User error: GL_INVALID_ENUM in glGetIntegerv(pname=GL_NUM_EXTENSIONS)
bfready

Postby bfready » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:46 pm

DoomerNL

I don't have an imgur account, so I can't post pictures or anything, but I did load up GZDoom 3.8 w/ DOOM2 and did some benchmarking. Keep in mind though, my Rpi4 is overclocked to 2.0ghz (600mhz on the GPU)...
But, I'm not sure it affects doom performance much:

720P (100 percent scaling) with software rendering on MAP01 (first part where you are facing the 2 zombie soldiers) ~ 15-18 FPS.
720P (100 percent scaling) with opengl rendering with light mapping on and texture filtering of somekind (linear?) on map01 (first part where you are facing the 2 zombie soldier) ~ 30-35 FPS

720P (100 percent scaling) with software rendering on MAP30 (about 3 minutes into the level out where all the monsters appear..) ~ 10-17 FPS.
I would get down to 10fps only when I would get a flash of light from being hit by a cacodemon or something like that

720P (100 percent scaling) with software rendering on MAP30 (about 3 minutes into the level out where all the monsters appear..) ~ 23-34 FPS.
I would get down to 23fps only when I would get a flash of light from being hit by a cacodemon or something like that

So, normal DOOM2 is no problem to play. It's only when you put on mods that really tax the system. I don't know if you've ever played the Reelism mod, but it plays great on each level..... UNTIL you get numerous monsters attacking you. It slows down to a crawl then (5-10FPS..)

There are plenty of mods that run fine though.

For example, I just ran Dusted Pandemonium April Fool's Edition and Dark World. Dark World is a really cool WAD because it's like the normal DOOM2 maps, yet something is off (sort of like the netherworld in Minecraft)... PLUS the crazy monsters from Dusted Pandemonium.. So there's a lot of stuff going on. At 720p, with opengl, I would get from 40 FPS down to 10FPS. 10FPS would only be the moments when you see several monster gibs flying in the air or when you fire your plasma gun point blank in a monster face. Must have something to do w/ the lighting, so I turned off dynamic lighting.. Not much of a difference. I did turn off the texture filtering and got a few FPS more with it. It really wasn't needed though because the game (DOOM2 with 2 mods running on GZDoom 3.8) was perfectly playable.

I hope this helps.

P.S.

If you want to see what else the RPi4 can do, I suggest watching this guy on Youtube (PI LAB):
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgfQjdc5RceRlTGfuthBs7g

After watching this guy, I was able to get Morrowind running on my Rpi. Very cool!
bfready

Postby drfrag » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:37 am

For some reason i missed your posts. You can run LZDoom with OpenGL, select it in the menu or use vid_renderer 1.
I also maintain the legacy branch (GZDoom vintage but probably this one will be slower, it's g3.9vpre and 3.8 is older).
The Pi4 for now only supports GL 2.1 so to play with OpenGL you need either LZDoom or GZDoom legacy. The best you can do is compile them yourself (but don't forget to change the build type to Release).
https://github.com/drfrag666/gzdoom/tree/g3.3mgw
https://github.com/drfrag666/gzdoom/tree/legacy

About GZDoom 4.3.3 software no idea, is it really the g4.3.3 tag?
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Postby bfready » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:10 am

Hi, drfrag. Thanks for replying.

This is where I downloaded gzdoom 4.3.3:
https://github.com/coelckers/gzdoom/archive/g4.3.3.zip

Regarding the [version?] tag, this is what is reported when I run gzdoom 4.3.3:
GZDoom <unknown version> -  - SDL version

It doesn't show a version! Yet, none of my builds do for some reason. I wonder if me having multiple builds is causing this? I have no idea.
They have different directories, but I think they share the same .config folder...
bfready

Postby drfrag » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:13 am

That's becouse you don't have Git installed but it doesn't matter. You can download the source zips from the links i posted.
About softpoly not working in GZDoom it was a bug i fixed myself later, that happened when you compiled without Vulkan. But even if it worked on the Pi it would crash with vid_rendermode 4 due to a memory alignment problem. 8 bit software (vid_rendermode 0) is actually slower than 32 bit on softpoly.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Postby Gato303 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:20 pm

drfrag wrote:The Pi4 for now only supports GL 2.1 so to play with OpenGL you need either LZDoom or GZDoom legacy. The best you can do is compile them yourself (but don't forget to change the build type to Release).
https://github.com/drfrag666/gzdoom/tree/g3.3mgw
https://github.com/drfrag666/gzdoom/tree/legacy

Sorry if I bump too inapropiately here...

Hello DrFrag, I want to address you here since I am using your Git repository to compile LZDoom Current on my Raspberry Pi 4B 4G.

After following the ZDoom Wiki instructions to compile, getting the dependencies and downloading the source code (gzdoom-3.88a.tar.gz), I was able to compile and run LZDoom in both Raspberry OS and Ubuntu Mate 20.10.

It works pretty fine, but the only problem I have currently is in Ubuntu Mate, the sound is pretty bad, sounds like distorted and like high volume level, I changed many of the sound configurations but nothing fixes it, I don't know if it's a configuration or compilation problem, the only hint I got is, since I run LZDoom from console I got this message:

fluidsynth: warning: SDL2 not initialized, SDL2 audio driver won't be usable

Should I compile it again changing compile parameters or just run it with some additional option? I will thank your help
Gato303

Postby Gato303 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:24 pm

DoomerNL wrote:Since we talking pi and source ports i just have a quick question since im about to get one of those pi's
Whats the best source port for doom on the pi? that has the best performance? im just looking for best performance which one is it? zdoom maybe?
sorry dont mean to highjack but thats the only question i have

I am running LZDoom on Raspberry Pi 4B 4GB a bit overclocked (CPU 1750MHz GPU 600MHz) and sometimes it goes at 100FPS tho the average is around 60FPS and lowering when there are many dynamic lights on the scene or many stuff going on screen like running Russian Overkill.

Tho I gotta note that since I have my Pi connected to an old CRT TV the resolution is bound to 480interlaced so that might be the reason for the very high FPS
Gato303

Postby Rachael » Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:22 pm

I think it's worth noting that GZDoom works flawlessly on the Pi 4 now. You will have to select the GLES renderer though - +vid_preferbackend 3 in the command line.
Rachael
Admin

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Gato303 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:49 pm

Rachael wrote:I think it's worth noting that GZDoom works flawlessly on the Pi 4 now. You will have to select the GLES renderer though - +vid_preferbackend 3 in the command line.

Thanks for the answer, tho seems the problem I am having it's not related to LZDoom specifically, this weekend I compiled Quakespasm on the Raspberry 4B running Ubuntu Mate 20.10 64bits. And when I ran it I have the same audio problem again. Quakespasm seems to run audio also on SDL2, so it seems my problem is with SDL2 on Ubuntu Mate, but I have searched in a couple forums and can't find a solution, alternative or workaround for it yet.
Gato303

Previous

Return to General