Ist there anybody still using Doomsday-hires texture packs?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Gez

Re: Ist there anybody still using Doomsday-hires texture pac

Post by Gez »

I've never used the dhtp, and I think I never even downloaded it.
vsonnier
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by vsonnier »

The change broke the AltDHTP pack (https://zandronum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6132), which I'm using all the time. :(.
I only browse the Dev forums, and I follow the Git commits fortunately so I was aware of the change.

So I repackaged the AltDHTP following the DHTP Zdoom format and brightmaps.pk3 structure as model and it worked again. I can post a Google Drive link in the Graphic/Audio Patches forum, if it is interesting to anybody.

I noticed the Step1 / Step2 duplicate problem between textures and flats also. Is there a non-conflicting way to declare them the ZDoom format ?
I tested the following structure:
filter/doom/hires/flats
filter/doom/hires/textures
instead of putting all textures in filter/doom/hires, but it didn't seem to fix the conflict: it only loaded the filter/doom/hires/textures version in Ultimate Doom as replacement to the flat texture.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by NeuralStunner »

I've ever thought high-res textures were worth it. There was no visual mode in DOOMED so you'll rarely see textures aligned, and higher detail just accentuates this. Also, any custom textures are still going to be at the original resolution. I see the exact same problem with Quake.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

vsonnier wrote: I noticed the Step1 / Step2 duplicate problem between textures and flats also. Is there a non-conflicting way to declare them the ZDoom format ?
Yes, you'll have to add a TEXTURES lump for them where you can distinguish between flats and wall textures.
NeuralStunner wrote:I've ever thought high-res textures were worth it. There was no visual mode in DOOMED so you'll rarely see textures aligned, and higher detail just accentuates this. Also, any custom textures are still going to be at the original resolution. I see the exact same problem with Quake.

Agreed. And yet, you'll get them for nearly all these old games - and they very rarely look good - the maps were made for low-res textures after all and most texture packs I have seen do not just increase the detail but also attempt to give the material more structure, which nearly always ends in a visual disaster. Now, having maps that are built around higher resolution graphics - that's something different.
vsonnier

Post by vsonnier »

Graf Zahl wrote:
vsonnier wrote: I noticed the Step1 / Step2 duplicate problem between textures and flats also. Is there a non-conflicting way to declare them the ZDoom format ?
Yes, you'll have to add a TEXTURES lump for them where you can distinguish between flats and wall textures.
Thanks Graf, I managed to solve the conflict with the following structure:

filter/doom/hires/Step1F.png + Step2F.png (Step "Flat" version) + others common textures...
filter/doom/TEXTURES.doom
filter/doom.doom1/hires/Step1Tpng + Step2T.png (Step "WallTexture" version) + Doom 1 - specific textures...
filter/doom.doom1/TEXTURES.doom1
filter/doom.doom2/hires/Step1Tpng + Step2T.png (Step "WallTexture" version) + Doom 2 - specific textures...
filter/doom.doom2/TEXTURES.doom2

with TEXTURES.doom:

Code: Select all

Flat STEP1, 256, 256
{
	XScale 4
	YScale 4
	Patch STEP1F, 0, 0
}

Flat STEP2, 256, 256
{
	XScale 4
	YScale 4
	Patch STEP2F, 0, 0
}
TEXTURES.doom1:

walltexture STEP1, 128, 32
{
	XScale 4
	YScale 4
	Patch STEP1T, 0, 0
}

walltexture STEP2, 128, 32
{
	XScale 4
	YScale 4
	Patch STEP2T, 0, 0
}
TEXTURES.doom2:

walltexture STEP1, 128, 64
{
	XScale 4
	YScale 4
	Patch STEP1T, 0, 0
}

walltexture STEP2, 128, 64
{
	XScale 4
	YScale 4
	Patch STEP2T, 0, 0
}
Somehow in AltDHTP, there are 2 different Step1/2 walltextures for Doom 1 and Doom 2.

So far it works perfectly and in particular Step 1 / Step 2 either "flat" or "walltexture" show up where they belong.
Graf Zahl wrote: Agreed. And yet, you'll get them for nearly all these old games - and they very rarely look good - the maps were made for low-res textures after all and most texture packs I have seen do not just increase the detail but also attempt to give the material more structure, which nearly always ends in a visual disaster. Now, having maps that are built around higher resolution graphics - that's something different.
Well, I have to disagree here (obviously) for AltDHTP at last. It is very consistent in texture matching tones and resolutions. (no mix of poor and super-high resolutions like in DHTP that immediatly stand up, no inconsistent tones) so it really enhance the experience and it also mix well with additional custom textures, because the pack base resolution is not that far the native one. That is, textures are still blurry :)
Darkcrafter
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Darkcrafter »

May I ask kindly why there is a need for distinction between flats, floors, ceilings, walls? It's important for vanilla hi-res packs but for new maps?
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

It's important just due to some naming conflicts tbh. There's wall textures named STEP1 and STEP2, and flats named STEP1 and STEP2. Without any way to distinguish between the two, it would be impossible to use the right texture in the right context.
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

The jDoom Hires pack is garbage. Good riddance.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Darkcrafter wrote:May I ask kindly why there is a need for distinction between flats, floors, ceilings, walls? It's important for vanilla hi-res packs but for new maps?
If these hadn't been distinct and incompatible namepspaces originally, these would surely be utterly redundant and counterproductive - and for new projects the strong recommendation stands to avoid duplicate names as they always tend to cause problems. But the system still needs to be capable of obeying the rules needed to select the proper textures in cases like STEPx so it had to be made part of TEXTURES's definition syntax.
There's also the issue that the rules for sprites are even stricter. It's still better than the Build engine, where every texture just has a number and cannot even be replaced separatelyfrom the other textues in the same container without hassle.
irontusk341
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by irontusk341 »

im trying to figure out how to adjust to the new set up in gzdoom 4.4.2, i had my UHD textures in Heretic_Godly_Texture.pk3 file, and then tried using Hoover1979's method in a Textures and Flats folder in the same folder Gzdoom is located... and still no luck.

Return to “General”