Original "original" concepts of Doom

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Apeirogon

Original "original" concepts of Doom

Post by Apeirogon »

Originally Doom was supposed to be a game based on Alien franchise, I hope that not a secrete to anyone.
So, is there any concept/art/information about this version of Doom?
Or production of such concept was only reached phase "Lets make a game based on Alien...Change my mind."? Or all such information already "gathered" in all thous Alien TC?
Jarewill

Re: Original "original" concepts of Doom

Post by Jarewill »

I think (but am not sure) they first wanted to get a licence before they started working on concepts.

But since that didn't go right, we got Doom instead. :D
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Jarewill wrote:But since that didn't go right, we got Doom instead. :D
And even though I am a big fan of Aliens, I think it worked out for the best.

If we'd got an Aliens game, I feel that it would be inextricably linked with that franchise and therefore much more limited, much more of a game of its time, not as original and - dare I say it - nothing like as long lived as Doom has turned out to be.

It would be interesting to know what they had in mind but I'm glad Doom was Doom and not Aliens 3D.
sinisterseed
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by sinisterseed »

Enjay wrote:
Jarewill wrote:But since that didn't go right, we got Doom instead. :D
And even though I am a big fan of Aliens, I think it worked out for the best.

If we'd got an Aliens game, I feel that it would be inextricably linked with that franchise and therefore much more limited, much more of a game of its time, not as original and - dare I say it - nothing like as long lived as Doom has turned out to be.

It would be interesting to know what they had in mind but I'm glad Doom was Doom and not Aliens 3D.
Same here.

If it was to be an Aliens shooter it would probably be much more tied to the franchise and much more restrictive in terms of creative freedom, and modding would've more likely than not not be a possibility - and also bye bye source release, so no ports as a result. Anyway, I think the Aliens part was ultimately fulfilled in Doom 3, because seriously, if you remove the Doom/UAC references and some enemies you're literally left with an Aliens shooter there, especially in RoE.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

lowskill. wrote:and also bye bye source release,
What? I dont see a connection between Gieger "specific" fantasies and source codes. Doom graphics (imps, barons, FIREBLU, etc) are still protected by copyright, but code which uses it are not (thank you Carmac)
Tartlman

Post by Tartlman »

Apeirogon wrote: What? I dont see a connection between Gieger "specific" fantasies and source codes. Doom graphics (imps, barons, FIREBLU, etc) are still protected by copyright, but code which uses it are not (thank you Carmac)
It's far less likely that you'd get the source code from a game connected to a large company than from a small group of developers.

Also isn't 20th century, the holder of the aliens IP, that one that takes down youtube videos for having 5 seconds of a song? Doesn't seem likely that they'd want to make the source code public.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

Well, uh....... Alien vs Predator did have its source code released long ago.

Return to “General”