Is there any way to get GZDoom OPL music to sound like this?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Darkcrafter
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Is there any way to get GZDoom OPL music to sound like t

Post by Darkcrafter »

I honestly don't know what cool do you find about this sound, imho, GZDoom built-in synth sounds even better than a real sound blaster, but it sounds pretty similar to what AWE32 sounds like when it emulates OPL3.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Darkcrafter wrote:I honestly don't know what cool do you find about this sound, imho, GZDoom built-in synth sounds even better than a real sound blaster, but it sounds pretty similar to what AWE32 sounds like when it emulates OPL3.
This doesn't really help OP.
Darkcrafter

Post by Darkcrafter »

wildweasel wrote:
Darkcrafter wrote:I honestly don't know what cool do you find about this sound, imho, GZDoom built-in synth sounds even better than a real sound blaster, but it sounds pretty similar to what AWE32 sounds like when it emulates OPL3.
This doesn't really help OP.
Yeah, sorry, I just have read on the way of getting this tone.

By the way, can you remember me posting a question about strange doom 2 intro theme sound that plays as a sound with a smooth attack? I found out that August 25, 1994 version 1.666 sounds exactly what I remember it sounded like when I had my very old computer with DosBox 0.74 SVN NukedOPL3. GZDoom synth doesn't reproduce the effect.
Darkcrafter

Post by Darkcrafter »

I made a quick comparison between Doom 2 v1.9, Doom2 v1.666 August 25 1994, GZDoom 4.2.4 OPL Synth Emulation Nuked OPL3, version 1.666 and v1.9 IWADs sound completely the same under GZDoom: https://drive.google.com/open?id=13Rgro ... D0VkfTchm4
Nash

Post by Nash »

It was already established (by Graf Zahl) that GZDoom's OPL emulation doesn't cook the audio. Only DOSBox does it specifically.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

D_INTROA was always the first i've heard for a long time too and I always felt it odd every sourceport ignored it. It's specially designed to not sound like one big chord.

There's also the low-pass filter aspect of old sound cards that a lot of Doom ports ignore too (on top of ignoring 11khz PCM mixing). DOSBox doesn't handle that either. This is the part of the post where I plug PCem for some more faithful emulation reference, but beware the rom hunt for satisfying the LLE...

It sounds like this
Darkcrafter

Post by Darkcrafter »

Nash wrote:It was already established (by Graf Zahl) that GZDoom's OPL emulation doesn't cook the audio. Only DOSBox does it specifically.
I have no pretensions to GZDoom it sounds good enough, I'm trying to say that v1.9 sounds worse than 1.666 in my opinion. v 1.7 was itended to fix some map bugs but actually was introducing new bugs :biggrin:

In the comparison one can hear that v1.9 doesn't have some cymbals and has high pitched lead sound that has more brightness to it which sounds like if somebody would scratch glass, maybe it's an intended effect but I really don't like it. GZdoom sounds identical on all versions and it sounds pretty good, I think it digs what intentionally doom was meant to sound like.

So the further it goes the worse it gets?

Return to “General”