Maps with bad design

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Apeirogon

Maps with bad design

Post by Apeirogon »

By "bad design" I dont mean "fireblu on every wall/acid colors everywhere/lsd trip in UDMF" or something like lilith.wad.
I mean maps which designed in a way that you, as player, cant realize what you need to do to progress through it. Even with automap cheats and noclip.
So can anybody name such maps?

For example, most maps of an epic 2 megawad, map28 especially.
Monster Hunter Ltd, but there are mostly darkness in which you cant see switch even if you look directly on it.
Cherno

Re: Maps with bad design

Post by Cherno »

Well, as a bit of self-critique, the two maps I made for my Chaos Engine TC are kinda bad in some regards. They are carbon copies of the top-down maps from the original game, which means that the overview the player had of the surroundings have gond due to the change to first-person perspective. Since gameplay is centered around switch & trigger puzzles and enemy ambushes, the player will constantly run into invisible triggers that silently create monster spawners or rtoggle bridges and stuff where he can't see it, sometimes there aren't even audio cues.
Hexereticdoom
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Hexereticdoom »

Community Chest 1, map 29. Period.

Dude, what a REAL pain in the neck was that level in my first game with that megawad. Still remember it and gives me nightmares... A gargantual labyrinth which took me almost 10 HOURS to complete it the first time, even with jumping cheat!!! :woh:

For me, the two maps made by Magikal in CC1(06 and 29) were the only ones that got me seriously stucked and not knowing what to do next. Who could imagine that in map 06 you had to make an insane straferun move from the snakey bridge to reach the yellow key?

If I have to talk about the times I got lost into the infamous map 29... And worst of all, near the ending, you have to perform a required wall-running to progress at the last room. Man, are you serious? :bang: :bang: :bang:

Desesperation overall.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Scythe MAP28 comes to mind immediately. It requires a perfectly timed speedrun to get through alive. My guess is that >90% of all potential players will never ever be able to complete that map.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Which KDIZD map was it that had the utterly obnoxious keycard hunt? Was it the third or fourth map? I can't remember which exactly because I drink to forget, but that one.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

The third one I think. Absolutely great map, very non-linear but also logical. :P
3saster

Post by 3saster »

Graf Zahl wrote:Scythe MAP28 comes to mind immediately. It requires a perfectly timed speedrun to get through alive. My guess is that >90% of all potential players will never ever be able to complete that map.
I've beaten it before on UV, but I've only ever completed it with a death exit. You need such an absurd degree of perfection go complete the level that it's ridiculous, if you so much as go at the wrong angle, you might as well restart the map. MAP22 of Deus Vult 2 executes this idea much better, with more leniency and the threat (the balrogs) being a tangible thing approaching rather than an invisible force.

Return to “General”