Question about Glows

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
spamclark15

Question about Glows

Post by spamclark15 »

So I have glowing enabled in GZDOOM but I'm noticing some things that are glowing that seemingly shouldn't be, such as blood and pinky demons. My guess is that it's simply going by colors of the game palette and anything that uses those colors glows? I'm curious.
Enjay

Re: Question about Glows

Post by Enjay »

What you you mean "glows"? Dynamic lights? Brightmaps?

Are you loading any mods?

If I understand your description correctly, then what you describe shouldn't be happening.

Got a screenshot?

Can you post a startup log?
spamclark15

Post by spamclark15 »

No 3rd party mods, only the files that GZDOOM includes. I'm not sure what the correct term is. Here are 2 screenshots from DOOM II showing a shotgun guy corpse and a pinky corpse glowing when the player is close. Other than doom2.wad, brightmaps.pk3 and lights.pk3 are being loaded.
Screenshot_Doom_20190615_214538.JPG
Screenshot_Doom_20190615_214248.JPG
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Hmmm... it looks like it might be the bloom setting. I didn't even think of that because I never use it. I'm not a fan of the effect generally (even in other games) and i've seen it do similar things like this in Doom.

I can't check right now but I think the effect strength is configurable. You might try toning it down a bit.

Additional thought: does it only happen when you are really close to things? It could be the "things get lighter near the player" effect of some lighting modes.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Bloom affects lots of things it shouldn't. I really like the effect where it is intended but it's so totally uncontrollable that it's essentially worthless.

Return to “General”