3d Model Questions

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

3d Model Questions

Postby CultureShockCreative » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:48 am

Howdy, I was just looking over the modeldef section of the wiki and didn't get the sort of answers I was hoping for. I know this is somewhat dependent upon the quality of user hardware but what sort of limitations are there for using 3d models in QZ/GZDoom? Are the current blockier (forgive me, I'm just looking to see what's possible I assure you I'm not trying to be condescending towards who contributed) models such as those used in 3DGE the limit of what can be accomplished? Is there a set vertice or triangle limit before it starts bogging down the engine? Are the animation frames limited by the # of frames in the digitized spritedefs? Those of you who use those models, what are your specs like vs your frames per second? Going to school for character design in the fall and I'm keen on playing with idtech1 before playing with the Hammer or Unity editor.

P.S. Is there current support for lightmaps made in SpriteLamp? I ended up with a license on the cheap a year or two ago through humble bundle and I could see about helping contribute in some form or fashion.
CultureShockCreative

Re: 3d Model Questions

Postby Cherno » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:56 pm

CultureShockCreative wrote:Howdy, I was just looking over the modeldef section of the wiki and didn't get the sort of answers I was hoping for. I know this is somewhat dependent upon the quality of user hardware but what sort of limitations are there for using 3d models in QZ/GZDoom? Are the current blockier (forgive me, I'm just looking to see what's possible I assure you I'm not trying to be condescending towards who contributed) models such as those used in 3DGE the limit of what can be accomplished? Is there a set vertice or triangle limit before it starts bogging down the engine? Are the animation frames limited by the # of frames in the digitized spritedefs? Those of you who use those models, what are your specs like vs your frames per second? Going to school for character design in the fall and I'm keen on playing with idtech1 before playing with the Hammer or Unity editor.

P.S. Is there current support for lightmaps made in SpriteLamp? I ended up with a license on the cheap a year or two ago through humble bundle and I could see about helping contribute in some form or fashion.

You can have high-polycount models for sure. I don't know if there's any hard limit for GZDoom, but from my work with Unity I know that a mesh can't have more than ~65k vertices. That is incredibly high for models to be used in Doom, I reckon. Nevertheless, you could combine mutiple models into one frame if you would really need to (this feature is probably meant for other uses, though). I can't say how performance is affecteed since there are always multiple factors involved, such as number of actors, type of actors, physics simulation, sector count, and so on. Not to mention PC specs.

You can have one model animation frame per sprite animation frame. If an actor is represented completely by a model, it can just give each frame a "FRAM" or whatever placeholder sprite (you'd need sprites named as such (FRAMA0, FRAMB0,...) of course). The name "FRAM" is just an example.

So, theoretically, you can have very detailed animations. If you really need to, you can give a simple walk state dozens of frames, although this would be overkill for such simple model animations.

I haven't done any tests but model-heavy wads like Total Chaos run smoothly even on my aging machine.
Cherno

Return to General