GZDoom localization development thread [Split]

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: GZDoom localization development thread [Split]

Post by Graf Zahl »

Oops, I think I just forget to handle the menu captions. I was taking care of everything else and definitely had this on my list but it must have fallen through the cracks. Fortunately, the BigFont is relatively easy to do, because it's the same height.

But there's one other thing I noticed yesterday while playing Ancient Aliens with German texts. At the moment the font renderer mixes custom SmallFonts which only provide glyphs for ASCII with the extended characters from the base font and it really looks like crap, especially when using color "untranslated".
I think the SmallFont needs some fallback option to the stock version from the IWAD or the Unicode font if the engine detects that stuff gets mixed and doesn't match. There's 3 places where this can happen - the notification texts in the upper left of the screen, the centered messages about keys and secrets and the confirmation screens in the menu.
For all 3 places I already considered always using the VGA font but that will obviously cause some backlash and is not a viable option.
Edward-san

Post by Edward-san »

For the Italian localization, I really appreciate some help from more people, in particular from people who played localized Italian games, so that I can have a proper proofread of the menus.

Just recently I corrected some of the strings, thanks to the recently added remarks in the spreadsheets.

If anybody wants to help, please send me a pm with the translated text, so that I'll add it to the entries.
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

Just added Russian strings to the Chex Quest 3 tab. We’re not 100% sure about everything, but those nuances can be fixed with time.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Ok. Then it's only Spanish still missing.
So localization-wise the last thing we need for a release is the two missing Portuguese characters for the Strife fonts, unless I have missed something.
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

Not sure if this is a bug, so I’ll post it here:

When opening the “Mission Objectives” panel with Korean selected in GZDoom, nothing at all appears. The weapons menu works just fine, though. I’m thinking this might be intentional because the fonts don’t render properly there, and this is being worked on?

In addition, when did this extra menu get added?

Portugese characters are done, by the way.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

That screen is a bug. Only one of the two displays should appear. This may be related to the Korean workaround. It cannot really use the original because there's no way to put the Korean text in there.
But I've been thinking to provide generic variants of all 3 popups. The weapon popup contains all text baked into the graphic and the keys popup has spacing problems with many languages. And if they were generic they could be made to work by default in all games.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Well, I've gone and covered the Spanish strings for Chex Quest 3, Hacx and Harmony. I'd advise whoever's covering Latin American Spanish to check up on what I've written in case there are some idioms/phrases that have to be worded differently there.

I'm sorry I didn't notice the tabs until Graf PM'd me about it.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

What did you change?
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

I redid all of the letters that were pushed in commit 5260352 and also compared them to a few Linux console fonts to see how they handled diacritics and other signs. The most notable difference is in difficult letters like Ø, where I used approximately the same method as I did for the BIGFONT counterpart:

Kostov

Post by Kostov »

The punctuation marks have no spacing between themselves and the letters they are adjacent to because of kerning. I’ll need to redo the pixel borders in a PR to compensate for this before the next release.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Then hurry. ;) I originally wanted to do a release yesterday but the good weather and an unexpected delay means I'll probably do it tomorrow.
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

Kostov

Post by Kostov »

The fonts work fine, and I see now that the quit messages use the VGA font. Intentional?

Also, one more proposal: instead of listing Korean and Russian in English, we could just write their native names in the Latin script beside the official name for consistency with how other languages are displayed. “Hangul” and “Russkij”.

Return to “General”