GZDoom localization development thread [Split]

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Re: GZDoom localization development thread [Split]

Postby Graf Zahl » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:51 am

theleo_ua wrote:
Graf Zahl wrote:Unfortunately one map in Strife needs it to get out of one particular area

Do you know the map number and XYZ of area?

It's MAP04 but I don't know where precisely.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby Undead » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:08 am

I think I found it.

MAP04

X: -427.256
Y: 5770.836
Z: 80.000

Dunno if there’s a teleport function in GZDoom, so here’s a detailed map.
Undead
RUS/SRB translator

Postby Graf Zahl » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:38 am

The CCMD is called 'warp'.
Graf Zahl

Postby Undead » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:20 am

Graf, do you know if VOC122 and VOC129 are used anywhere in GZDoom? Judging by the source code, it doesn’t seem like it. Seems to me like it VOC122 is used in Strife: Veteran Edition, though.
Undead
RUS/SRB translator

Postby Graf Zahl » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:53 am

You cannot check these from the source code alone. Most of the logs get triggered by special linedef types which pass the log number as tag. That's really why they should all be done, in case a custom mod uses them, which is entirely possible.
Graf Zahl

Postby Undead » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:36 am

Okay. This is mostly a concern for my Strife voiceover project in Russian… Trying to figure out an efficient way to determine which lines are used and which lines aren’t.

It seems these linedef specials are listed in SLADE under the “Communicator” list. That might be helpful.
Undead
RUS/SRB translator

Postby Marisa Kirisame » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:08 pm

Damn, some of the new lines to localize are getting a bit hard for me. I'm really not very good with some expressions.
Marisa Kirisame
ZScript Crimester

Discord: 霧雨魔理沙#1666
Twitch ID: magusmarisa
Github ID: OrdinaryMagician
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Graf Zahl » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:26 am

Take your time. These are not planned to be used in the upcoming release because the feature to use them isn't implemented yet.
What's the problems with them? Keep in mind, that the translation doesn't have to be literal, especially when the sentences do not convey any real information.
Graf Zahl

Postby Nash » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:06 am

https://legendsoflocalization.com/a-pee ... lizations/

Here are some insights on game translation that may be useful.
Nash

Github ID: nashmuhandes

Postby Firebrand » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:48 am

Marisa Kirisame wrote:Damn, some of the new lines to localize are getting a bit hard for me. I'm really not very good with some expressions.

Having the same kind of problem as you :P, not sure where these are used in the game, probably another part of the problem, heh! :x
Firebrand
Korax' Heritage Team Member

Discord: Firebrand#4002

Postby Undead » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:52 am

I’ve noticed that GZDoom now auto-adjusts the space between lines based on the height of all characters located in the .pk3 (at least in Strife), but this happens regardless of which language is selected. It’s quite distracting when reading in English, which has no extra height for its letters. Is it possible to make this determine which language is being used and act based on that?

Then again, it might not be that bad when it comes down to faithfulness—the original game has 12px of spacing between lines.
Undead
RUS/SRB translator

Postby Rachael » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:55 am

I really do not like that idea. It would require a special override for English (and possibly other basic-only Latin-alphabet languages, including Pinyin) and that sounds ugly, to me. The alternative would be to base it on the message string itself, whether it has accents in it, and that would be ugly too because it would introduce an inconsistency if a single string just so happens not to have any.

Case-by-case overrides are in general pretty bad and should be avoided because they have a nasty tendency to hinder the long term flexibility and extensibility of the code, should it be improved on later. I think there may even be a basic programming rule about that.
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit

Postby Graf Zahl » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:09 am

Who says that all English text comes without accents? All you need is some French person in the story with an accented name.
In general, those original fonts are flat out crap when it comes to usability issues - and many mod fonts are even worse (Two particularly shitty ones are in Freedoom and Claustrophobia 1024.) There's a reason why I changed the font for the menus, but I intentionally steered clear of in-game text displays. We all know that the reception for a change here would be far, far worse, although Strife's dialogues really would benefit from a less bulky font. The current one can become quite large with longer texts.
Graf Zahl

Postby Rachael » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:15 am

Yeah, I forgot about that completely. French names that land in English by any means always keep their accents. Which is hell to type on an American keyboard because you can't type accents on those without alt-codes or copy-pasting or just add one of the European layouts to your switchable keyboard layout selection.
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit

Postby Undead » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:32 am

Rachael wrote:I really do not like that idea. It would require a special override for English (and possibly other basic-only Latin-alphabet languages, including Pinyin) and that sounds ugly, to me. The alternative would be to base it on the message string itself, whether it has accents in it, and that would be ugly too because it would introduce an inconsistency if a single string just so happens not to have any.

It’ll be ugly if you’re used to one single language, but per-language line heights are wholly practical from an aesthetic point of view.

Graf Zahl wrote:Who says that all English text comes without accents? All you need is some French person in the story with an accented name.

That all depends on whether you want to modify the original game’s contents, which, out of principle, is a red flag to me.
Last edited by Undead on Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Undead
RUS/SRB translator

PreviousNext

Return to General