GZDoom localization development thread [Split]

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: GZDoom localization development thread [Split]

Post by Graf Zahl »

Sure. No problem. I was notifying you so that pending work can be submitted before I have to lock it.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Undead wrote:Any way you can fix it? Else, I’ll have to resort to an uppercase Х or a Latin one.

This was pretty much what I suspected. The C function iswspace considers 0x85 as whitespace and so it got removed by the whitespace trimmer. I changed it to only check for the 4 common whitespace code points \t, \n, \r and the real space.
Tapwave
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Tapwave »

Graf Zahl wrote:Since the French translation is getting closer to completion (ca. 400 entries left to do) I'd like to announce that once it is complete I will lock the spreadsheet and do some needed cleanup and sorting - it needs to be split in two for the engine and game texts which go into different resource files and also require removal of some dead content. Once this is done I will re-grant access to both files for all active contributors.
Speaking of which, it's done!
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I just noticed. But I think there's one thing left. I believe I have seen a few gender-sensitive texts. Some of the obituaries contain "%o s'est..." and if I remember my French from school correctly, the following verbs need an 'e' appended if %o is female. This can easily be done with the macro system but will need someone with better knowledge of the language than me to have a look over the remaining texts if there's some gender variants needed.
Tapwave
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Tapwave »

Graf Zahl wrote:I just noticed. But I think there's one thing left. I believe I have seen a few gender-sensitive texts. Some of the obituaries contain "%o s'est..." and if I remember my French from school correctly, the following verbs need an 'e' appended if %o is female. This can easily be done with the macro system but will need someone with better knowledge of the language than me to have a look over the remaining texts if there's some gender variants needed.
I just need a way to dynamically add either an e or a é, or both, but I can concatenate macros for that.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

That's what the macros are there for. I already defined a macro called "e_fr" that should do what you need. Have a look at the Spanish and Russian texts to see how they need to be used. The existing examples should be clear enough about what they do. Wherever a female 'e' is needed, add "@[e_fr]" instead. If you need different gender variants like some distinct female terms, just add a new macro where you can define the separate terms for the existing genders.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Tapwave wrote:I just need a way to dynamically add either an e or a é, or both, but I can concatenate macros for that.
You shouldn't need to add an é. For example: Il s'est tué. / Elle s'est tuée. an extra e, but no extra é.
Same for other verb groups. réduit/réduite, surpris/surprise, pendu/pendue, bouilli/bouillie, etc. I can't think of any case where you'd need more than an extra e for the singular past participle.

Now for adjectives it's more complex because you can have doubled consonants like muet/muette or ronchon/ronchonne, but you can also have changed letters like secret/secrète or fou/folle. But for past participle, a macro for the e is more than enough. And I still can't think of any case where an é should be added, even with an adjective.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Me neither. But in any case, the system as implemented can handle all of these cases - it doesn't really matter if you define 5 or 50 gender macros for French. It's only a bit of text but won't have any performance impact.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I just locked the spreadsheet so I can do some offline maintenance this afternoon.
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

I’m gonna try getting around to Chex fonts this weekend.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

The first part of the texts is back up (i.e. the game strings I wanted to split out of the main file) and I already added all previous contributors as editors.
I want to do some content sorting on the other one before bringing it back, it's a bit too unordered right now.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I just noticed some glaring oversight in the localization:

Doom's episode names were missing - they still were literal text in MAPINFO.
To ensure that for the next release these are filled in the supported languages I chose to use Google Translate as a placeholder for Spanish, French and Russian, but these texts definitely need reviewing by someone with a better understanding of these languages.
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

I’ve fixed the Russian version.

How can we test the language files now? Or are you working on adding GZDoom support for two differently named spreadsheets?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

No need to. To test, just name one language.xlsx and one language.xlsy.
For the release one will be in gzdoom.pk3 and the other in zd_extra.pk3
axredneck
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch

Post by axredneck »

Graf Zahl wrote:I chose to use Google Translate as a placeholder for Spanish, French and Russian
Google Translate translates to Russian very-very bad, so in order to understand the result we need to translate it back to English first.

Return to “General”