GZDoom localization development thread [Split]

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
AFADoomer

Re: GZDoom localization development thread [Split]

Post by AFADoomer »

Is there any plan to allow mod authors to choose the font that they want their menus to use? Unless I'm doing something wrong, I'm pretty sure that newconsolefont.hex only gets loaded from gzdoom.pk3 right now, even if another valid and complete .hex font is provided.

Related question: What was your workflow in creating this font? Did you use a specific set of utilities to generate this .hex file from a .bdf/.png/etc.?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

The font is currently locked because in order to allow replacements the code needs to be extended. Don't forget that this is a full-BMP-Unicode font, so replacements need to be additive - you wouldn't want to provide all of CJK again, would you? But that code does not exist yet. The font is also being processed from that simple 1-bit raster. For the console it gets a shadow and for the menus it gets an outline in roughly the same style as the original SmallFonts.

The workflow was actually quite simple. The bulk of this font is from GNU Unifont but that font looks rather poor for large parts, so I also grabbed a VGA font from somewhere else and merged them together, so that the VGA parts replace everything that font supported.
axredneck
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by axredneck »

Graf Zahl wrote:... grabbed a VGA font from somewhere else...
From int10h.org ?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Kostov

Post by Kostov »

We’ve translated 99% of the strings, but some things leave us puzzled. What’s volume ramping? What are all the OPL settings? What’s “band-limited step”?

Also, “Hey, not too rough.” in Doom is not localized.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I have left "Volume ramping" empty in German as well because I have no idea what this precisely means here. Most of the OPL settngs are also all Greek to me.
What's with Hey, not too rough? The text exists , line 1026 in engine strings.
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

Yes, but it still shows up as English in the latest devbuild.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Not for me. Here it looks correct.
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

Strange. It doesn’t happen with a fresh config file, but it does with mine for some reason.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

There was one option for which I changed the default, this may be related.
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

I’ve made a PR that reverts the look of the Strife accented letters to their old state. Having spaces for the accents is nice, but it makes for a terribly inconsistent look when you have to squish all letters by 1px.

I might give Doom the same treatment, but in a separate pull request. And I’ll see to it that the Russian strings are done until tomorrow evening at a maximum.

Also, I’ve realized the problem now with “Hey, not too rough.”: it’s because I autoload this mod. I’m gonna bump that thread with a warning to any non-English users.
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

I did you a favor and filled up the remaining subtitles (and fixed the ones you didn’t fully recognize). However, I believe that all voice lines starting from 200 are unused in the game—I’ve never heard them before. It’s best to check Strife’s source code.

Also, in order to properly translate “Enable buggy Strife railing”: what is this buggy Strife railing at all? What does it do?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

It makes the railings really glitchy by allowing to jump into them and get stuck. Unfortunately one map in Strife needs it to get out of one particular area.
Undead wrote:I did you a favor and filled up the remaining subtitles (and fixed the ones you didn’t fully recognize). However, I believe that all voice lines starting from 200 are unused in the game—I’ve never heard them before. It’s best to check Strife’s source code.
Thanks for filling in the gaps. I had real problems with the Loremaster's lines, he was so distorted that I could barely make out what he was saying. Looking at the lines above 200, I have to agree, none of them appear in game. If they get subtitles it'd mainly be for user mods reappropriating them.
theleo_ua
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by theleo_ua »

Graf Zahl wrote:Unfortunately one map in Strife needs it to get out of one particular area
Do you know the map number and XYZ of area?
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

I just noticed there’s 1px of extra vertical space in the Strife dialogues. Was this intentional? If so, I can redo the extra letters to utilize this new space.

Return to “General”