How did/does daisy chaining net play work?/zandronum

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

How did/does daisy chaining net play work?/zandronum

Post by Guest »

Can the old style of local-play multiplayer method of daisy chaining computers together still be done on modern source-ports today? Like with zandronum? Could this work with multiplayer mods?/how does this work?

(Idk if I’m even using the right terms, but I think my question is somewhat clear)

Thanks
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro/Win 8.1
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: How did/does daisy chaining net play work?/zandronum

Post by TDRR »

Hannah Grandbury wrote:Can the old style of local-play multiplayer method of daisy chaining computers together still be done on modern source-ports today? Like with zandronum? Could this work with multiplayer mods?/how does this work?

(Idk if I’m even using the right terms, but I think my question is somewhat clear)

Thanks
If by daisy chaining you mean Peer 2 Peer connection, yes this is what GZDoom does.

Post by Guest »

Can you do this with LAN cables, just physically plugging in PCs to each other.

I know it’s outdated, but nonetheless I’d like to know if it works with zandronum or gzdoom
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro/Win 8.1
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TDRR »

Hedda Goodhall wrote:Can you do this with LAN cables
Yep, while Zandronum also allows for this, GZDoom is waaay better suited to LAN than Zandronum is.
https://zdoom.org/wiki/Multiplayer That link should help you. If not, try using a launcher like ZDL.

Also, why is it strictly necessary to use LAN cables? You could just use a modem/router and plug all the PCs you need to it.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

If your respective operating system recognizes it as a TCP/IP network, both GZDoom and Zandronum should work with them.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

Daisy chaining was more of an IPX thing than TCP/IP and that protocol was deprecated for good long ago (as well as the hardware)... It sucked especially for troubleshooting. I've had my share of mid-90s IPX LAN trauma. You really, really don't want that back.

Return to “General”