Is it possible to fully recreate and play Doom 64 in GZDoom?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Nash

Is it possible to fully recreate and play Doom 64 in GZDoom?

Post by Nash »

I was wondering if GZDoom has a complete enough feature set to fully convert and play Doom 64? Or are there still features missing, or anything that would be impossible to re-create in GZDoom?

NOTE: Please do not discuss anything involving illegal content like ROMs and what-not. I will report any posts containing illegal information.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Is it possible to fully recreate and play Doom 64 in GZD

Post by Graf Zahl »

There's probably a few obscure features that haven't been implemented. But whatever it takes, you'll have to recreate all the maps from scratch. I don't know what Nevander's plans are with his project but it always seemed that backwards compatibility with older GZDooms was more important than faithful implementation.
Nash

Post by Nash »

So I take it the WAD generated from Doom64 EX's WadGen.exe cannot be read by GZDoom? That's a bummer; I was hoping to play with pristine level data...
Gez

Post by Gez »

Things that are missing AFAIK for loading Doom64 EX's IWAD:
  • Map format loading
  • Macro support
  • F_SKY -> SKY mappings
  • Mirrored textures
  • Sky cloud projection
  • Fire sky, see this other thread though Doom 64 has two different fire skies.
  • Palette swap for sprites
  • MIDI sound effects
Now a number of these can be recreated differently, of course. The maps can be converted. The textures can be expanded. The fire sky can be made from a static animation with a lot of frames, as on the PSX Fire Skies pack on Realm667. Macros can be replaced with ACS. Palette-swapped sprites can be duplicated. And so on.

The cloud effect might be doable with some shader magic if you're clever enough, but I can't give you pointers for that.
Trusty McLegit

Post by Trusty McLegit »

So what is actually missing from doom 64 retribution?
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

Retribution is ultimately a good recreation, but at the end of the day, it is just a recreation, it isn't using the original data. It can get really close, especially with things like d64 style lighting being supported officially in the game now, but you'll always run into subtle differences here and there. One big thing especially is timing, since Doom runs at 35 ticks per second while Doom 64 runs at 30. This seems like a minor difference, but it adds up quickly.
TDG

Post by TDG »

I have a question for those who played Doom 64 EX and Doom 64 Retribution.
Which would you consider the definite version? Reason why I am asking is because I don't know which version I should play.
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

if you want an experience as close as possible to the original, without question it's Doom 64 EX. Almost every subtle thing is emulated just right because it is derived directly from the original N64 version's code. There's still some minor differences due to differences between how the n64 works and how your PC works, but most of those are extremely minor and won't affect your normal gameplay. Everything will be as it should be.
TDG

Post by TDG »

Hello InsanityBringer, thanks for your response.

With all the different versions of Doom 64 out, including one that recreates the maps but with Doom 1 and 2 monsters it is very unclear to me what the best version of this game should be to check out.

I don't mind some of the level changes that I have seen in Brutal Doom 64 including that nice intro level but there are some other changes plus elements returning from Brutal Doom that I don't care much about. (I only played Brutal Doom for the Hell on Earth starter pack)
Then I rather play the original experience.

I wouldn't mind though if there was ever a re-imagined Doom 64 campaign made in the style of Hell on Earth starter pack because I really liked the Half Life vibe regarding the level design.
TDRR
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian 12/ Manjaro
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by TDRR »

Doom 64 Retribution is perfect for an enhanced version of Doom 64, it's really accurate and includes smoother animations than Doom 64 EX.

After that, you may want to try out Doom 64 for Doom 2 which is essentially a recreation of Doom 64 with Doom 2 assets and even runs in vanilla Doom. Try to not use any mod that modifies the monsters or decoration, or else you may break a ton of stuff. DUBG only changes weapons in case you want to try that out, same with Trailblazer and i think Doom Rougelike arsenal.

Return to “General”