Devbuilds for Linux

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Do you want dev builds for Q/GZDoom on Linux?

Poll ended at Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:29 pm

I don't use Linux, I use Mac or Windows (and already have dev builds available to me, if I want)
50%
I use Linux, but really I prefer to compile it myself.
No votes
I use Linux, but really I would prefer to have the pre-compiled builds available to me, like Windows users do.
50%

Total votes: 12

Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Devbuilds for Linux

Post by Rachael »

I am opening this poll to see how much interest there is in providing pre-compiled dev builds for Linux.

Linux is generally a platform where users are expected to compile things themselves - but times change. And there are more and more non-programmer types migrating to the platform. It's time to change our attitude about it, as well.

Just because it's open source doesn't mean you HAVE to compile everything, and pre-compiled binaries are starting to become more and more popular. So - let's see what our community thinks.

If you don't currently use Linux but desire to switch to it in the future, then feel free to answer the question as if you already do use it.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Devbuilds for Linux

Post by Caligari87 »

Not sure what the point of option #1 is, lol. :P

For me, I generally try to avoid downloading non-repository software and as such I rely on debian.drdteam.org. I'm capable of compiling GZDoom myself but setting up the build environment and waiting for the compilation is a bar just a little higher than my lazy ass cares to vault.

Pre-compiled devbuilds might be an exception to my laziness if I need to test something pre-stable, which is pretty rare, but it'd be a nice resource.

Personally I would be ecstatic to see a nightly build on the debian repository, with an appropriately-named executable so I could have both "gzdoom" and "gzdoom-dev" as system-wide installations and avoid the need to fiddle with portable folders and such. I understand that's a long shot and not necessarily under the purview of the GZDoom dev team, but it would be wonderfully convenient.

8-)
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Caligari87 wrote:Not sure what the point of option #1 is, lol. :P
It's a response to allow a person to self-close the poll and be able to see the results, without having to click "Show Results" every time.

Plus, that response also gives us some idea of the user-share of Windows/Mac vs Linux - which we already know is quite disproportional, but seeing it open like that gives us some idea of how viable it really is.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

My own habits are that if I'm not on a computer where I've got all the dependencies for GZDoom already then I'd be installing the latest stable anyway. These habits may change if devbuilds are ordinarily readily available.

Precompiled devbuilds might be useful to help find bugs though since it helps control some oft-ignored variables.

EDIT: Changed my vote - I will probably continue compiling but having the option is presumptively better than not.
Last edited by Matt on Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SwiftFunk
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by SwiftFunk »

Precompilied devbuilds would be great for the new people who aren't that comfortable with spending time setting up/getting the proper dependencies and libraries for compiling, I already know the drill when it comes to compiling on linux, but I'd find devbuilds more convenient.

Return to “General”