GZDoom for Debian Armhf / Raspberry Pi

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
HAL9000

GZDoom for Debian Armhf / Raspberry Pi

Post by HAL9000 »

Hello everyone.... Firstly, I have very little experience with linux and linux distributions.

On the main GZDoom download page I saw there is download available for Debian i386 and Debian amd64, but there is no armhf version.
Is it possible to build latest GZDoom from the source for Debian armhf that will run on the Raspbian/Retropie / Raspberry pie hardware?

If its possible, can someone more experienced give some instructions how can this can be achieved?
I would really be nice to have latest builds for the Raspberry Pi.

For other available GZ/Zdoom builds:
Yes there is Gzdoom-odroid available for raspberry, but its the older build.
and there is Zdoom available, in which I have no interest.

Thank you, and Rip & Tear
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: GZDoom for Debian Armhf / Raspberry Pi

Post by Rachael »

This is currently no longer officially supported since the migration of the codebase to higher OpenGL-supporting hardware than is currently provided by Raspberry Pi.

You might check out piZDoom - it is a fork of GZDoom specifically for the Raspberry Pi (but I'll admit I don't update it as often as I should).

Instructions are the same as here - just use the piZDoom repository instead of the official GZDoom one. (Or use the Legacy branch, instead, it has a slower startup since it still officially supports modern hardware, but it still works)

In order to get the legacy version, in the git clone phase use the following commands, instead:

Code: Select all

git clone https://github.com/drfrag666/gzdoom
cd gzdoom
git checkout legacy
In order to get piZDoom, in the git clone phase use the following command, instead:

Code: Select all

git clone https://github.com/raa-eruanna/pizdoom
HAL9000

Re: GZDoom for Debian Armhf / Raspberry Pi

Post by HAL9000 »

@Rachael Thank you for the information.
I will try piZDoom

Cheers!

Return to “General”