What tiny mods do you use for a little extra?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
MrDowntempo

What tiny mods do you use for a little extra?

Post by MrDowntempo »

I'm not talking tiny in file size, but .. which mods do you add to a run to add just a little bit more interest to another run? I'm talking smaller in effect than Smooth doom or bolognese or ketchup. I'm looking for mods like the SpriteShadow mod that adds shadows to all enemies. It's just a little touch, and I can add it regardless of what other mods or wads I'm playing with. I'm looking for some more tiny mods in that vein that'll tweak/improve the general experience.
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Re: What tiny mods do you use for a little extra?

Post by m8f »

Besides the obvious answer, I use the following from time to time:
- Immerse (before this - Tilt++ and Footsteps)
- DarkDoomZ
- LevelInfo
- Sprite Fixing Project
- Simple Mirrored Monsters
- PalPlus
- Sound Caulking
- Fullscreen Status Bars
- NC HUD
- Jimmy's Jukebox (not tiny, though)
- Custom Doom

No particular order + I may have forgotten something.
MrDowntempo

Post by MrDowntempo »

This is exactly what I was looking for! I'd used tilt++ before a long time ago but had forgotten about it. Immerse is very nice. I was really impressed with Sound Caulking too. When I play without weapon mods that have their own sounds, I tended to use this hidef sound pack. It looks like sound caulking doesn't replace those, and just adds more sound effects, so I can use them in conjunction with each other! (I think anyway, with my limited experimentation so far) DarkDoomZ is fun as well, though, there's something odd about having a flashlight that never runs out of batteries in a video game (seems to defeat the purpose of the mod) Still, those were the sorts of things I was looking for! Thanks again! (And keep 'em coming if there's more!)
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

I use this mod: I H8 Pain Elementals.

This mini-mod generally makes nearly all of the enemies easier, but they all have altered attacks which does make the game a bit more interesting and sort of unexpected.
NantoCodd

Post by NantoCodd »

Autoautosave viewtopic.php?f=43&t=59889 : A highly useful and customizable autosave mod. Saves me multiple times playing hard gameplay mods.
Target Spy viewtopic.php?f=43&t=60784 : My preferable enemy health bar mod. Extremely customizable.
Universal Enhanced AI viewtopic.php?f=43&t=62232 : Overhaul enemy AI, but it works even for custom monsters. Enemies now can alert each other about your whereabouts and if they can't find you they will give up and rest. Now featuring light-based stealth, so you can sneak on dark sectors.
Beezle

Post by Beezle »

This is an absolute must when playing without any gameplay mods, pk smooth animation's by NightFright : viewtopic.php?t=32628
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Bit of a plug, but I have DamNums on autoload. It adds damage numbers when you shoot things and it ought to work with whatever mods.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

SoundCaulking, Fullscreen Status Bars, Droplets (or Nash's New Gore Mod), Autoautosave and the Universal Enhanced AI. I typically also tend to load a more feature-set mod such as DRLA, Smooth Doom or FinalDoomer.
JadedLexi
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by JadedLexi »

I have targetspy on autoload and I don't think I'll ever switch that out.

Return to “General”