[Sigil] Romero's fifth Doom episode released

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Re: Fifth Romero's Doom episode to be released

Post by Ghastly »

It isn't a huge, groundbreaking mod, but it wasn't really intended to be. It's intended to be an extra episode for Doom 1, and I think it fits in pretty nicely into that role. I'm actually pretty impressed with some of the ideas in these levels like the crusher maze, the consistency with his new eye-target gimmick (I didn't expect to see it again after the first map). Chris has a point with the secrets; I think some of them were a little too obscure (auto-map secret in M3, for example), but mostly my problem with them is that all of them seem to be marked with hidden lines so the auto-maps he gives you almost every map don't actually do anything.
djonas

Post by djonas »

Mightily impressive, lots of great ideas. Huge fan of E5M2, E5M5 and E5M6, but E5M7 prior to ending was also great. The only weak levels were E5M8 and E5M9, the former was very anticlimatic, the latter was just there.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Mystery solved, demos play properly with version 1.0 of the wad but he dies very soon. Seems demo3 goes out of sync.
Also i see i didn't change all the choco icons somehow. I'd like to add the graphic for the extra skill level but choco doesn't support graphics in the exe i think.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

Very optimistic of him to record a demo in the first place. :)
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Well - I streamed it live. I don't play it quite like Romero does - honestly I think that's complete bonkers and I am not comfortable playing that way. Besides - most "hard core old skool" players are a minority, anyway, no matter what Doomworld would have you believe. :P

I streamed on Twitch just like I promised, but I uploaded the videos to Youtube for posterity. I did two sets, since I had to stop in the middle of the first one in order to take care of real life stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA6uRsw0CGc (Part 1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T8oUtVbMho (Part 2)

My impressions of it:
  • I remember Icarus saying that the encounters were pretty tedious. I agree. Putting a bunch of pinkies and barons everywhere was kind of fucked up, in my opinion - but luckily I rarely ran out of ammo to deal with them. It just made the pacing of the gameplay really slow - especially if you fucked up, which you will - a lot. I will say that the telefrag teleporters for the Cyberdemons was real clever though - I liked that.
  • The maps themselves are very beautiful. There is some linedef abuse going on - but it's nowhere near the point that it would cause GZDoom to buckle under the weight. The entire mapset is very playable, even on older machines, and that is something I can definitely appreciate. Those of you who know me know that I do not appreciate it when mappers brag about their 200,000 linedefs in a single level. It's obnoxious and extremely overdone. (Sorry) I will never argue that the end result is impressive visually - and props to you for that - but it's unplayable. That's just how it is. Luckily for us, Romero did not cross that threshold.
  • I am not going to play this to the end on stream. I know I probably should, but I just have no interest in playing the later levels without cheating. I ultimately want to finish it, not save-scum my way through a 5 hour slog. No one likes a stream with cheats, so I won't be broadcasting that.
Overall, I appreciate Romero for releasing this and letting us enjoy his work that much more. Sure, it's far from perfect, but it has a certain old school charm that all Romero maps did - that just can't be replicated easily. I hope everyone else has at least as much fun with it as I did!
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Rachael wrote:I just have no interest in playing the later levels without cheating. I ultimately want to finish it, not save-scum my way through a 5 hour slog.
But why don't you play it on HMP instead?
Dancso

SIGIL discussion (John Romero's new Doom1 episode)

Post by Dancso »

[Enjay: moved this post from its own (effectively duplicate) thread]

Hey. Couldn't find a thread about this so i figured why not.
The free version just became available:
https://www.romerogames.ie/si6il

A friend and I have just finished playing it through with Zandronum..
Spoiler: my opinion and impressions
Rachael

Re: [Sigil] Fifth Romero's Doom episode to be released

Post by Rachael »

Oh I neglected to mention - the youtube videos I posted today -

Big shout out to dpJudas! The renderer I used in those was Vulkan, which worked significantly better for me streaming than OpenGL did. For some reason OBS does not like Optimus laptops when streaming OpenGL, it will only work if you run the game on the Intel processor. But with Vulkan, it's no issues, and runs just fine on the NVidia. Which made my streaming experience way less laggy. :)

So - thanks again, dpJudas!
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

Hehe, thanks! I guess OBS has better Vulkan support than OpenGL. I'm glad that solved a performance problem for you. :)
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

I played through this and it's... alright. It's not great by any means and it doesn't live up to the standards of Episode 1, but its not the the worst map pack I've ever played. That being said it's definitely a one-and-done affair for me.

Post by Guest »

Sigil is awesome, and I'm sad so many people are hating it. "Not the worst I've every played"... statements like these makes me sick. Levels are beautiful, fresh and original, not your typical rip and tear. You need thinking and slow movement is preferred. Levels are basically E4M2 and E4M6 on steroids.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Uh, I'm sorry that not everyone worships Romero like a god? That kind of thing is very cult-like, and if anything is "sick" that's truly much closer to mental illness than not liking his work.

There is no denying he's had a massive influence on a lot of our lives - but that's no reason to put him or his works on a pedestal. He's just a man who happens to be pretty cool. And makes maps. And a professional game developer. That's about it.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Rachael wrote:Uh, I'm sorry that not everyone worships Romero like a god? That kind of thing is very cult-like, and if anything is "sick" that's truly much closer to mental illness than not liking his work.

There is no denying he's had a massive influence on a lot of our lives - but that's no reason to put him or his works on a pedestal. He's just a man who happens to be pretty cool. And makes maps. And a professional game developer. That's about it.
very funny indeed. And to be honest a little sad because it's all 100% true. This unfounded/obsessive worship you often see with rockstars and the like is actually rather worrying tbh... Being a fan is one thing but come on... Be objective.
JadedLexi

Post by JadedLexi »

Worship me instead, and I may yet be merciful.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Re: [Sigil] Romero's fifth Doom episode released

Post by drfrag »

You're going to make me play the damn thing sooner than i planned. Worship Baphomet instead. :P

Return to “General”