[Sigil] Romero's fifth Doom episode released

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
SouthernLion

Re: Fifth Romero's Doom episode to be released

Post by SouthernLion »

Enjay wrote:I can't wait to play some maps that I haven't played yet (and (as such) I do not know how they will play or what the author-intended experience will be like), with a mod that will completely alter my experience. :lol:
It's like Beethoven came back to life and released a new song, and someone goes "I can't wait for the rap song remix that will use this in the chorus!!"
Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

RexS wrote:
Enjay wrote:I can't wait to play some maps that I haven't played yet (and (as such) I do not know how they will play or what the author-intended experience will be like), with a mod that will completely alter my experience. :lol:
It's like Beethoven came back to life and released a new song, and someone goes "I can't wait for the rap song remix that will use this in the chorus!!"
To be honest, a modern rap or pop song that actually manages to integrate a sonata well would be a lot more interesting to me than some new Classical song that would ... probably just sound like some Classical song, considering it's coming from a guy whose work basically defines what that type of music sounds like to modern ears.
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Arctangent wrote:
RexS wrote:
To be honest, a modern rap or pop song that actually manages to integrate a sonata well would be a lot more interesting to me than some new Classical song that would ... probably just sound like some Classical song, considering it's coming from a guy whose work basically defines what that type of music sounds like to modern ears.
There was a team in Microsoft that would take potential employee hires to a steak dinner, and if they put sauce on it without tasting it first without it, they would not get the job.
Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

RexS wrote:There was a team in Microsoft that would take potential employee hires to a steak dinner, and if they put sauce on it without tasting it first without it, they would not get the job.
Well, that's certainly a group composed of assholes. Probably for the better that the job was lost, though - being forced to work with people so insufferably elitist that they'd exclude anyone that didn't have the exact same taste in food sounds like an absolute nightmare. Especially since smug programmers don't tend to be just mildly smug, but extremely so.

Still really sucks that it's likely that one person ended up on the streets just because he liked A1, though.
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

Arctangent wrote:Well, that's certainly a group composed of assholes. Probably for the better that the job was lost, though - being forced to work with people so insufferably elitist that they'd exclude anyone that didn't have the exact same taste in food sounds like an absolute nightmare.
Not sure if it was elitism, but a poorly conceptualized test. It sounds like the intent was to see if a potential hire has a habit of tweaking what they're working with without first checking what it was like originally, to know if the changes were even necessary. Though that kind of falls apart when using steak as an analogy, since it's not a new/unique thing. A person could have a lot of previous experience with steak and knows that it generally tastes better for them with steak sauce.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I think it probably pre-dates the Microsoft example and was part of the 1980s "new-business" yuppie approach to life. I'd heard loads of stories about "trendy" companies with shiny-skinned young business execs who wore even shinier suits and braces and who spoke almost entirely in business cliches taking prospective employees out for lunch and observing whether they salted their meals without first tasting or not.
Gez

Post by Gez »

To go back on topic, the thread title should rather be "Romero's Fifth Doom episode to be released" because it's not the fifth episode by Romero. After all, Shores of Hell and Inferno were by Tom Hall and Sandy Petersen, and he only made two of the maps in Thy Flesh Consumed.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

Gez wrote:To go back on topic, the thread title should rather be "Romero's Fifth Doom episode to be released" because it's not the fifth episode by Romero. After all, Shores of Hell and Inferno were by Tom Hall and Sandy Petersen, and he only made two of the maps in Thy Flesh Consumed.
Maybe it's the fourth clone of Romero releasing it. :P
Korell

Post by Korell »

eyesoftheworld94 wrote:Update on SIGIL: https://rome-ro.squarespace.com/news/20 ... gil-update
Yep, I saw this yesterday morning. It's a little disappointing and I'm conflicted as to how I feel about it not being released. From what we know, the mapset itself is finished so it could be released (as it will be free to everyone anyway, you just need to own Doom 1) but there is an issue with the production of the paid physical boxed versions that come with a soundtrack CD. Now you could argue that releasing the mapset via digital download would be fine because even if you have paid for the boxed version you can still get the mapset for free and get the boxed version with the soundtrack when it comes out (hopefully now in April) and nobody is really missing out. On the other hand, though, those who have paid for a boxed version have therefore given monetary support so waiting for those to release is also quite fair. Anyway, the delay does at least give me time to play through Inferno and Thy Flesh Consumed once more (I've played the first two episodes so many times, but episodes 3 and 4 I've played much less (in fact, I think I might have played episode 4 only the once).
Gez

Post by Gez »

This extend Sigil's Start-to-Crate metric by at least two months!
danknugz

Post by danknugz »

gives me plenty of time to play through in VR :)
biospud

Post by biospud »

Update on SIGIL: https://twitter.com/romero/status/1115695794156396544

I pre-ordered the John Romero Sigil "Beast Box" back in 2018. Now April has arrived, and the release has been delayed. Again.

I cannot claim that Romero did not give me ample ample advance warning that he would make me his "B".
Korell

Post by Korell »

Only a slight further delay, though. The Sigil website (https://www.romerogames.ie/sigil/) states:

UPDATE April 7, 2019: Due to a delay in physical production of some of SIGIL's pieces, fan boxes will ship in the first week of May. The free megawad will be made available one week after fan boxes begin shipping so paying customers can play SIGIL first.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

I literally have absolutely no surprise about this at all. Romero is infamous for his hyperbolic jumping the gun to the point of having literally no concept of time as far as how long things will take. It's happened time and time again. Look at that 'press release' he made about what would be in quake before it came out. I can only imagine the cringing from the rest of the id team when they read all his ott and unfounded promisies. I mean I don't get it either. Hes had delays enough times now to have learnt to keep shtum untill you've got all the answers...
To be honest, It should be funny, what with the diakatana stuff and all but in truth it's just sad... And not in a "sad we've got to wait" way but the other sad...

Return to “General”