Looking for older Gzdoom dev builds

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Quake161

Looking for older Gzdoom dev builds

Post by Quake161 »

I've checked the parent directories and DRD builds(even though I can't seem to get registered with them for some reason) and I cannot seem to find the older dev builds. I've been wanting to run some different wads with them.
Anyone know where I can find them?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Looking for older Gzdoom dev builds

Post by Rachael »

They are intentionally hidden and often pruned. Devbuilds are not meant for regular playing - if you want to use old versions, GZDoom has an archive for that. https://zdoom.org/files/gzdoom/bin/

If you have an actual reason for needing old devbuilds, specifically for bug reporting, then older builds may be made available to you, but even in this case the amount of time you can go back is limited.
Quake161

Post by Quake161 »

So I may be S.O.L then. Thank you for the assistance.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

What specifically were you needing to do, though?
Quake161

Post by Quake161 »

I'm looking for gzdoom 2.1pre. Maybe versions 2.2 and 2.3 pre if possible. I used to have the updates cataloged, but I lost my hard drive at the hands of a 3 year old.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

All official versions of GZDoom are available at
https://zdoom.org/files/gzdoom/bin/
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Quake161 wrote:I'm looking for gzdoom 2.1pre. Maybe versions 2.2 and 2.3 pre if possible. I used to have the updates cataloged, but I lost my hard drive at the hands of a 3 year old.
What do you need those versions for?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

You shouldn't use old devbuilds for anything. That had some merit with ZDoom's spotty update schedule. But nowadays we do releases more frequently and devbuilds should be treated as what they are: Beta quality software of a WIP state.

If you absolutely have to track down a change between official releases the only real means is to set up a C++ compiler and Git client and self-compile them.

The devbuilds for such old versions have long been deleted so unless someone had them archived you are out of luck.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

I am pretty much in agreement with Graf. As I said, dev builds were never meant for regular playing. Especially not for such an extended period of time - 2.2 pre is OLD. That's before ZScript, even. That's even before GZDoom moved to this site officially. So that's 2 years, at least.

The original purpose of providing dev builds was to get bug reports. I can understand, and am not against, people keeping certain ones for sentimental value or what have you, but the appeal for them is much wider than originally intended - and sure, that's not such a bad thing because it means more bug reports come in quicker, but it also has the disadvantage that mods are often developed on them, and we have people asking for old ones when we have hundreds, if not half a thousand per year if you count forks, we just don't keep that many around. If a person actually kept every single Q/G/ZDoom SVN/Devbuild since DRD's site for them was first created, plus Nash's public builds before that, you'd easily fill up a 1TB hard drive.

Naturally that means they go through prunes, most often semi-annually at least - and anything deleted in the prune is lost forever, unless someone kept a backup somewhere.

Also - if you are the kind of person who downloads a lot of dev builds, and you don't delete old downloads frequently, and you're suffering disk space issues - check your downloads folder - you might be sitting on a golden opportunity to reclaim some of that space back.
Quake161

Post by Quake161 »

wildweasel wrote: What do you need those versions for?
I'm guilty of using Kyle873's Doom RPG. That's mainly why.
At this time, I'm only able to use gzdoom 3.4.1 due to system specs.
Graf Zahl wrote:You shouldn't use old devbuilds for anything. That had some merit with ZDoom's spotty update schedule. But nowadays we do releases more frequently and devbuilds should be treated as what they are: Beta quality software of a WIP state.

If you absolutely have to track down a change between official releases the only real means is to set up a C++ compiler and Git client and self-compile them.

The devbuilds for such old versions have long been deleted so unless someone had them archived you are out of luck.
I understand completely. If they aren't available by simpler means, that's alright. If I become too needy for it, I'll compile it.
Rachael wrote:Also - if you are the kind of person who downloads a lot of dev builds, and you don't delete old downloads frequently, and you're suffering disk space issues - check your downloads folder - you might be sitting on a golden opportunity to reclaim some of that space back.
The storage isn't an issue. All previous versions were saved on another drive that was put away.
That is until my kid found it. Like before, thanks for the help and the information. I appreciate it.

Return to “General”